Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fan/overheating issue

Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fan/overheating issue

I've searched high and low to find a solution to this. I got the P0480 code. I replaced the J11 fuse, the fan relay, and a new thermostat. The Jeep still shows the check engine with the P0480 code and when sitting in traffic the temp gauge climbs. From what I've read the next step is to replace the entire cooling fan? Any ideas, thoughts or experience?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Is there any other code set?
Does the fan run at all? If not, briefly connect 12 volts directly to it before you consider replacing it.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are no other codes showing. I did a radiator flush and so far it has been good. The check engine light still comes on occasionally, but it does not overheat anymore.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 experienced overheating while stopped in traffic. In my case it was due to a loose connection on the battery of something I think was called a fuse link. Because of the loose connection of this link, the fan was getting intermittent voltage. Tightened up this connection and it has been fine since. That was maybe 5 yrs ago.

Quick Reply: Fan/overheating issue