Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Lamps on with High Beams?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamps on with High Beams?

i installed a set of Delta Quad Bar headlamps (I wish I'd discovered this site before -- I'd have gone with the Cibi's). Low beam with the fog lamps (stock) on gives me a good, general driving illumination. But, when I kick in the high beams, the fog lamps kick off. And, the Delta's focus so intently forward that I lose the peripheral lighting that the low beam/fog lamp combo provided. And, since I daily drive about 15 miles of twisty two-lane, I need that spread to look for critters in the woods. Browsing thought here, I picked up that some states forbid running both high beams and fog lamps, so apparently, Jeep erred on the side of caution and makes them turn off when high beams are engaged.

So, my questions:

1) Does anyone know how to make the fogs light with the high beams?
2) Does anyone know if it's legal to do so in Virginia?

Thanks, all. 2008 JK.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't tell you 100% for sure but I am fairly confident it is Illegal in VA. It is illegal in most stated. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first is most people are too stupid to turn their high beams off when in fog. This forces them to realize the mistake. The second is it helps to maintain your night vision. I drive a lot of two lane back roads. Without all the extra reflected light I find I can see much better at night after my eyes adjust.

Besides if the animal is too close to not be seen in your high beams they are too close for you to be able to react to it anyway. At 45 MPH you move 66 feet in one second. My high beams show the road about 50 feet of so in front. For something to cross into the road within that distance you would have less than a second to react. You are going to hit whatever it is.

You could try and search I believe this has been done before. I really can't think of a way to do it without adding an extra relay and switch.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkrat
Every time i pass someone on the road with my fogs on people are blasting me with there high beams like i blasting them with my high beams,never had this problem until i lifted the jeep .IM sorry .

You need to adjust your headlights after lifting your jeep.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Ely
JK Newbie

Well If you lifted your Jeep you should have lowered the head lights. I bet if you could meet yourself on a dark two lane road you would bast yourself. As a foot note here in Washinton state the local sheriffs will stop you and site you.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

it's illegal in new york, i know that
Old 02-22-2009, 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As it is here in Pa. One of the things that is checked during annual inspection.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkrat
Every time i pass someone on the road with my fogs on people are blasting me with there high beams like i blasting them with my high beams,never had this problem until i lifted the jeep .IM sorry .
Same problem for me. Since my 4" lift, I can't use my fog lights anymore. If I do it, the other drivers want to kill me.

Last edited by Yoda; 02-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't understand the obsession with everyone wanting to use thier fogs all the time. They are "Fog" lights not "driving" lights. They are not meant to be on all the time especially when passing oncoming traffic unless in heavy fog or inclimate weather.

I pass two JK's on my way to work most mornings. One is lifted and one is not. They both really bother my eyes when they are passing. The lifted one more so but they are both too bright. I am up high in my JK and they bother me. I can only imagine what they are doing to the driver of your average car.

The moral of the story please turn them off.....

Last edited by derff96963; 02-23-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run mine ALL the time when the headlights are on. I don't care what other drivers think I only care about how well I can see

As for running fogs and brights at the same time... I know it can be done with a simple relay. I'm just trying to find the time to sit down and figure out how to do it

When I get that done, and add the windshield mounted driving lights, you better wear your sunglasses at night 'cause when you pass me, you'll need 'em
Old 02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by derff96963
I don't understand the obsession with everyone wanting to use thier fogs all the time. They are "Fog" lights not "driving" lights.
Because the stock driving lights are real shit

Last edited by Yoda; 02-22-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamps on with High Beams?