JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Fog Light Activation Robbery (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/fog-light-activation-robbery-106725/)

AustinGT 10-28-2009 08:47 AM

Fog Light Activation Robbery

So I bought a MOPAR fog light kit and have everything installed (except the wiring to the D-connector because the pins I was supposed to use were occupied...anyways). I called the dealership to see what it would cost to activate them in the computer and I was quoted $150. Maybe I am just ignorant, but how long does it really take and how difficult is it to activate the lights that they want to charge me that much? Any other way to activate the lights without the dealership?

Why not just have everything activated (besides having to take your car into the stealership and pay them to activate it)?

nlgrav182 10-28-2009 09:28 AM

Bullshit $150. Half hour of service at most. They shouldn't charge you more than $50, and if the guy isn't a jerk, they should do it for free.

opdsgt 10-28-2009 09:31 AM

I added the Mopar fogs when I did my ARB Bull Bar. You can simply Scotch-Lock onto the two wires in your D-Connector, but you're still going to have to have the stealership flash the ECU.

whpony96 10-28-2009 10:46 AM

Way to high go to another dealership!

AustinGT 10-28-2009 11:18 AM

I called both in my area...$150 from one and $100 from another...

ZBoater 10-28-2009 12:29 PM

Wow, activate fog lights? That is crazy! I just paid $78 to have them "activate" the backup camera, which by the way already has an acticate/deactivate option in the MyGig system setup once the dealership did its "activation". I thought I was robbed $78. $150 for fog lights????? Maaaaannnn.....

dirtyjkwrangler 10-28-2009 01:01 PM

I don't understand why the dealership has to activate them... Yes- if you're going full OEM and plugging into the normal light wand by the steering wheel I can see. But can't you just hard whire them to a switch in the rocker switches spot? Why do they need to be connected to the ECU?

opdsgt 10-28-2009 01:20 PM

Dirty, that's what I did. Used a switch and relay - no flash necessary. The nice thing about NOT using the replacement factory turn signal stalk that comes with the $109 Mopar light kit is, I can run my fogs WITH my high beams. Can't do that wired the traditional way via the new stalk.

Mark Doiron 10-28-2009 02:03 PM

When I changed my tires quite a while back, there was also a recall for new firmware. So, I asked the service department how much to adjust the tire size while doing the safety recall firmware update. After all, they already had my JK in the dock, hooked up to the computer, all they needed was a minute or two to browse to and select the right setting. $75. Like you said: Highway robbery. I bought a Hypertech and did it myself. Unfortunately, that won't solve your problem.

AlmightyCrash 10-28-2009 02:15 PM

send your jeep over here...
my dealer does everything for free for me.

even checks codes and adjusts some settings without removing my flashpaq settings.