Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

FOG Light Replacement Bulbs

Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOG Light Replacement Bulbs

My JK is a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock (Anniversary Bumper). Thought of going with the Cree Fog Lights, but read that they are not plug and play as advertised and they need to be modified to fit my HR bumper. For several hundred dollars for fog lights to "fit as OEM" and they do not, I'm thinking that it would be less expensive to do fog lights attached to a bar or to a mounting attached to the bumper. Since I already have driving lights attached to the bumper, my desire was to use the original fog light positions. With that option out, my question is whether the LED or standard style bulbs (like Amazon's JDM ASTAR LED bulb or the Voltage Fog Light bulb) are worth the $27-30 a pair over the stock bulbs? Does anyone have experience with replacing the bulbs with brighter bulbs of any type? Thanks in advance for your sage advice. ShipMates and JeepMates have always come through for me.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor

No.. not worth it. Those style bulbs are small and you won't get any REAL lightoutput.

We have been selling LED kits for a while, very popular. However we don't have the fog lights for the JKs yet. We're bringing them in, in about 2-3 weeks however. They are 6,000 lumens each bulb.

If you want to be patient a bit they are worth the upgrade...
Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDs.com
No.. not worth it. Those style bulbs are small and you won't get any REAL lightoutput.

We have been selling LED kits for a while, very popular. However we don't have the fog lights for the JKs yet. We're bringing them in, in about 2-3 weeks however. They are 6,000 lumens each bulb.

If you want to be patient a bit they are worth the upgrade...
Looking forward to your new LED kits. Please send a note when they will be available for purchase. BTW, will they require a resister to stop flickering or will it be built in?
Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 AM
Former Vendor

Fog lights typically work fine, but we do have resistors available should they flicker. I know on some of the JK's there is flickering. No way around that sometimes, as LED's call for less power. Well I mean the work around is installing CANbus adapters is all. Not a big deal I feel. Just an extra piece of hardware that gets installed. But the CANbus adapters prevent flickering.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

4x4TruckLED : So, is this a bulb exchange-out with the factory fog bulbs or an entire new SAE/DOT fog compliant light and housing replacement ?

thank u.

Last edited by jkk9; 01-31-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkk9
So, is this a bulb exchange-out with the factory bulbs or an entire new SAE/DOT compliant light and housing replacement ?

thank u.
My desires were to replace OEM fog light bulbs with higher output bulbs or LED's. Replacing the housings in my HR/10th Anniversary bumper requires modifying the housings to fit according to my research. Since I already have driving lights on the bumper, I wanted to keep the stock fog light housings integral to the bumper. Is there an unforseen problem that you know of with a bulb replacement?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

The only issue might be what is behind the bulb. Is it like your headlights (H13 style in your headlights) where the back of the bulb is exposed (which is good, as the LED's have a wire that goes from the back of the bulb to an LED Ballast/Driver).

OR are they like my Ford F-150 where the bulb is INSIDE a housing, leaving no room for the LED ballast/driver. Some Chevys are like this as well.

You want it so that the back of the bulb is exposed to where it plugs into the factory wiring, that means you can plug in the bulb and then the ballast plugs into the bulb and your trucks wiring to the led ballast. The LED ballasts also get hot so you want those left in the main area of your truck so they get air flow (you don't need direct airflow just in the open area is fine).

As I said the PSX24/26 are coming in my next shipment, within a months time (damn chinese new year).
Old 01-31-2017, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also looking for a good but not too pricing led solution for my stock fogs.

Northridge 4x4
Old 01-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor

Our kits will be $125 FYI... again... with the chinese new year our shipment is delayed... we're expecting our order in a few weeks time, call it 4 weeks to be safe.

We do have them for the headlights though. Direct plug and play for the most part (they have a ballast but that's easy). H13 is the bulb size for the JK's. I swapped out a co-workers old halogens and put in our XHP50 series in about 10 minutes during our lunch break at the office. He loves them. Giving a few more kits to some of the other guys at work also (3 of them have JKs)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates? Can't find them on your webpage

Quick Reply: FOG Light Replacement Bulbs