Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog lights into daytime running lights

Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights into daytime running lights

Fog lights into daytime running lights. Has someone don this to a 2008 jk ? If so can you tale me how to wire it. Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

I believe you can do this with an AEV Procal without having to rewire anything
Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mark jk
Fog lights into daytime running lights. Has someone don this to a 2008 jk ? If so can you tale me how to wire it. Thanks
So basicaly you want the fog lights on anytime the vehicle is running and the headlights are not on?

I don't know about the Pro Cal. So this may be true.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
So basicaly you want the fog lights on anytime the vehicle is running and the headlights are not on?

I don't know about the Pro Cal. So this may be true.
Yes that is right. I would like to run them anytime the jeep is running. I do not have a Pro Cal. If someone know how to wire it that would be good. Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kevlarjk
U have to wire both sides seperatly. Here is a little diagram
So your suggesting that the running lights activate the foglights? I thought that the OP wanted the foglights to act like DRL's?

Yes that is right. I would like to run them anytime the jeep is running. I do not have a Pro Cal. If someone know how to wire it that would be good. Thanks
Do you want to maintain OEM function also? Or will you totaly be abandoning the OEM foglight switch.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 06-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont hack into your wranglers harness unless you need to. The AEV Procal will accomplish it for you.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Just seen your post after I had writen mine. You have a good safety point. Now the OP can choose.

To do this mod, you will be required to cut the wires going to the foglights. And reconnect them to a new harness. The tricky part is finding something to trigger the relay when only the engine is running and nothing else is turned on. I have seen another thread where someone else has accomplished this. But I wasn't intrested enough to learn exactly what he did. So, I'm going to prepose that you use any accessory circuit to trigger the relay. Only problem with this arrangement is that the foglights will come on anytime the key is in the accessory position. I have a couple of drawings for you. But you will have to make a couple of alterations to these drawings.

This drawing will give you both OEM function or foglights anytime the accessory circuit is activated. Cut the wireing to the foglights. Reconnect the foglights to terminal #87 of the relay. Reconect the foglight feeder wires to the "OEM Circuit" in the drawing. With the three position switch in the up position, the fogs will work normaly. Switch in middle position " always off". Switch in lower position, foglights will come on anytime the accessory circuit is activated.

REMOVE THE SWITCH FROM THE DRAWING. Cut the wireing to the foglights. Reconnect the foglights to terminal #87 of the relay. Your OEM switch will not work the foglights anymore.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 06-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm amazed that some people still aren't grasping the fact that they can just use a simple AEV Procal to accomplish what the OP is asking.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
I'm amazed that some people still aren't grasping the fact that they can just use a simple AEV Procal to accomplish what the OP is asking.
I agree. But maybe it's a $$$ thing. I would be very appreciative if someone would donate one to me.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kevlarjk
the factory fuse pannel will hold the fogs and running lights with no problem, i have never replaced or touched my setup in a year in a half of having them. so now hes got my option or your option he can decide for himself what he wants to do.
I do not disagree that your suggestion will not work. As an electrician, I have learned that it is best to not alter systems any more than necessory. Not to mention the fact that the running light conductors were not designed to carry the load of the foglight lamps. I strongly recomend that you atleast relocate the foglight lamps to a relay. And let the relay be triped by whatever system you choose. And If the OP is looking for a true DRL, he may not want the running lights to be on also. Anyway, he has several options to consider.

Quick Reply: Fog lights into daytime running lights