Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Front windows playing tricks

Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front windows playing tricks

Hey guys, my names nick im new to the forum. I have an 11 jeep jk with power windows. Currently I have my drivers side window up and passenger side down. If i go to roll up the passengers side, the drivers side rolls down, then the passengers side rolls up. This also happens in reverse. If the passengers side is up and drivers side is down, as i try to roll up the drivers side the passenger side rolls down. Im a bit stumped has anyone else had this issue?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not really any help but I would love to see a video of this. Troubleshooting would say to unplug the battery for a 1 minute then try again?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Y, I know this isn't much help either, but I'd think signs would point to TIPM issue. I'd think the wire loom that plugs in to the switch cluster would run to the TIPM, which would then send the wires out to the doors. Seems like the TIPM would be the most likely place the signals could get jumbled up. Maybe @ronjenx can chime in as he's pretty handy with the electrical diagrams/issues.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Ive tried unplugging the battery, and checking the wires at the doors everything looks good, no broken wires or anything. I took out the window switch panel and checked the wires in the back as well, seems ok. Maybe bad window switch?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The only connection between the TIPM and the window switch module is the power wire from circuit breaker 1, (CB1).

The window switches supply power and ground to the motors to make them rotate in the up or down direction.

The best guess I have is there is a faulty ground somewhere in the window circuits. Power to raise one window is finding ground through the motor of the other window. I have seen faulty grounds do some pretty strange things.
If I had an old JK window switch module to do a study on, I would be able to help a little more.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Should i pull the panels off the doors?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

^^interesting. I've had my power window switch cluster out before, but wasn't sure if that loom of wires ran from the cluster to the individual doors. I as well have seen bad grounds do some real funky things.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickp99
Should i pull the panels off the doors?
That the window motors operate indicates all is well in the doors.
The problem is likely in the switch module, or the switch module's ground wire.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

Ill see if I can bum a window switch module off a buddy to swap real quick and see if it works.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

And to just get both windows up for now, perhaps unplug the window that is up (at the door) and then roll the other window up?

Quick Reply: Front windows playing tricks