Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Full Interior Swap on 08, Need the pros help with wiring!! Cruise now on Wheel, etc

Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Interior Swap on 08, Need the pros help with wiring!! Cruise now on Wheel, etc

I have a couple questions for the electrical experts out there..

How would I integrate the Automatic Headlights as I am replacing the dash with the newer one with the light sensor?

How to wire the Cruise Control on the new Steering wheel since the old lever would be gone?

Can the factory bluetooth mic be used for an aftermarket Pioneer Navi w/ bluetooth?

How can I wire the aftermarket Piaa Fogs to the factory switch with headlights?

This is what I came up with to get started.. Just don't want to be without necessary options when I tear it all out. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

What year interior are you putting in? If you are trying to update to the 2011 and up you are fighting an uphill battle from an electrical standpoint. The only possible way would be to have an entire wire harness from a donor vehicle or mopar all the computers and switches. as for your questions everthing is controlled thru the can bus. They way this works is a switch sends a signal to the computer which in turn turns on or off the load. there is no wire running from the switch directly to the load. In addition to this if you do add an optional device such as a sway bar you must go to the dealer to have that option activated. This makes adding a circuit or option extremely tricky and best left to a professional experienced with these systems as taping into the wrong wire can cause problems for you. I know this is not what you want to hear but just letting you know what your dealing with. Rick

Last edited by v8zracer260z; 04-05-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sounds like its more work then it's worth, if you like the new interior it would be easier to buy a newer Jeep. But if you have your heart set on a new interier, I think you'll need a good donat jeep, you'll need the computer to operate most of the new electrical! Power windows/locks should be the same, cruise should be the same, but it will require a new clock spring ( maybe), streering wheel radio controls require new clock spring ( if you want them to work)
For the auto headlights that will require new wiring and the computer to operate the sensor/lights. For aux lights ( Piaa) depends on what stalk you use!

Don't worry about the speed of the canbus sys as they are both high speed busses ( all Jk are high speed)

It might be a better to mix the 2 interiors, instead of a complete upgrade!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pirate
That sounds like its more work then it's worth, if you like the new interior it would be easier to buy a newer Jeep. But if you have your heart set on a new interier, I think you'll need a good donat jeep, you'll need the computer to operate most of the new electrical! Power windows/locks should be the same, cruise should be the same, but it will require a new clock spring ( maybe), streering wheel radio controls require new clock spring ( if you want them to work)
For the auto headlights that will require new wiring and the computer to operate the sensor/lights. For aux lights ( Piaa) depends on what stalk you use!

Don't worry about the speed of the canbus sys as they are both high speed busses ( all Jk are high speed)

It might be a better to mix the 2 interiors, instead of a complete upgrade!
I thought about upgrading to the new Jeep however I have easily 70k into mine regeared, ARB air lockers, disconnects, navi, backup camera, you name it..
If the electical options are not an easy harness or what have you then I just need to make sure the basics are going to work still like the heeating/cooling, power outlets, windows, locks, hazards, cruise.. etc. I bought a base Unlimited in 08 with the power pkg. windows and locks.. I alresady put in the seat interior from the new Rubicons and had the seats heated. Just down to door skins, dash and center console. Just wanted to see if I could use some of the newer options as well. If not, I will just get the rest of the parts out newer base model. She's at 50k now and want to keep it till 100k or so before I upgrade since I paid cash for the aftermarkets. Do you guys know what would be plug and play vs. what would take alot of work?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronstar83
I have a couple questions for the electrical experts out there..

How would I integrate the Automatic Headlights as I am replacing the dash with the newer one with the light sensor?

How to wire the Cruise Control on the new Steering wheel since the old lever would be gone?

Can the factory bluetooth mic be used for an aftermarket Pioneer Navi w/ bluetooth?

How can I wire the aftermarket Piaa Fogs to the factory switch with headlights?

This is what I came up with to get started.. Just don't want to be without necessary options when I tear it all out. Thanks!
Pretty much all you Listed to Match OEM setup of the 2011-up Wranglers is more then just what an Electrical Expert knows, It needs to be someone who can program the Software in the Wrangler so the Can Bus will see and Know what to do with these options as they weren't available and/or have changed in the newer 2011-up Wranglers.
The Mic can be Modified if it isn't the standard mic that the RER or the RHR 730 MyGig uses which is standard on add-on Bluetooth units.

To replace the dash, not sure if you are aware that the Aluminum Frame has changed, over $400 just this pc. The Instrument panel, the Cluster bezel, Passenger Air Bag Door Bezel, HVAC bezel, Lower Bezel and the Complete Duct Work is Different and all 4 Vents, and those are over $200 just for those.
Steering wheel, Air Bag is needed, get used, not deployed, on ebay just over $300...new $500...
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ronstar83

I thought about upgrading to the new Jeep however I have easily 70k into mine regeared, ARB air lockers, disconnects, navi, backup camera, you name it..
If the electical options are not an easy harness or what have you then I just need to make sure the basics are going to work still like the heeating/cooling, power outlets, windows, locks, hazards, cruise.. etc. I bought a base Unlimited in 08 with the power pkg. windows and locks.. I alresady put in the seat interior from the new Rubicons and had the seats heated. Just down to door skins, dash and center console. Just wanted to see if I could use some of the newer options as well. If not, I will just get the rest of the parts out newer base model. She's at 50k now and want to keep it till 100k or so before I upgrade since I paid cash for the aftermarkets. Do you guys know what would be plug and play vs. what would take alot of work?
Have any pics of your jeep?!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1978cj7jk2012
Have any pics of your jeep?!
I'm doing my 2nd interior upgrade...other wasn't my jeep so no pics, I'm doing one of my Jeeps, 2008 Sahara, only 5000 miles on it...I can show you pics if you want to see a Wrangler stripped Interior....lol...I'm taking my time, not rushing to over pay...parts comes Dirt cheap, Slowly, but cheap...lOL...And I have been taking pics when someone wants to know or see what something looks like that can't be seen with seats etc installed...LOL...track wires/Harness....lol
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is some insight and some reason I did not follow through with my swap on the upgrade.

Here are issues that you need to know.
Steering wheel controls will not work, Can not be activated. Mygig cant unlock it either
You will always have a ECM code from the HVAC, not sure if it sets the CEL
There are issues with the Body harness connector pin out and routing issue unless you buy new one.
Your cluster will only work with the 2011 set up. An lots of elec items are part numbered 11 only then due to connector pin out.
The Fan motor will have to be re wired.
You will likely have other Codes pop time to time due to 08 Module talking to 11 Modules.
You may or may not have the heated seats work. No info as of yet
The inverter is unlikely to work as they are a programed option. Hard wire it maybe.
An depending on your set up, you may not be able to have auto headlamps, or auto temp work to work.
An after having a 11 compass, I know the HVAC module has bugs. Let me know I can explain some of them.
The 10 and up sound bars are different
The color of the dash is different from the 08 interior

The good, you do not have to pull the HVAC box or vacuum your AC down. you just need to pull the dash out. The frame can be taken out with out the box. You can simply add the servos to the current box, holes are already there. Done checked via looking and part number checking. There is the fact that most every thing is plug and play. and you can get most parts cheap. Power mirrors will work if harnesses are installed for that year. All power options should still work depending on other build data. Your keyless andevery thing will move over.

If you want me to post more or want some help PM and Ill post up more info that I have found.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Here is some insight and some reason I did not follow through with my swap on the upgrade.

Steering wheel controls will not work, Can not be activated. Mygig cant unlock it either
There are issues with the Body harness connector pin out and routing issue unless you buy new one.
Your cluster will only work with the 2011 set up. An lots of elec items are part numbered 11 only then due to connector pin out.
You will likely have other Codes pop time to time due to 08 Module talking to 11 Modules.
The inverter is unlikely to work as they are a programed option. Hard wire it maybe.
An depending on your set up, you may not be able to have auto headlamps, or auto temp work to work.
An after having a 11 compass, I know the HVAC module has bugs. Let me know I can explain some of them.
The 10 and up sound bars are different
The color of the dash is different from the 08 interior

The good, you do not have to pull the HVAC box or vacuum your AC down. you just need to pull the dash out. The frame can be taken out with out the box. You can simply add the servos to the current box, holes are already there. Done checked via looking and part number checking. There is the fact that most every thing is plug and play. and you can get most parts cheap. Power mirrors will work if harnesses are installed for that year. All power options should still work depending on other build data. Your keyless andevery thing will move over.

If you want me to post more or want some help PM and Ill post up more info that I have found.
LOL....where are you getting your info from? You have a good many incorrect comments on parts and problems. This has been done a few times by many others,
Let's Start from the Bottom and work up...
1. (Yours)- You can simply add the servos to the current box, holes are already there.
(Response)- The Air Distrubtion Box has to be changed or you will have to build special brackets to Hold the ACTUATORS. I Ordered The Box which comes with everything attached, around $150, ACTUATORS are around $35 each and 2 are needed, Jeep already has One.
NOTE: The Door Levers, Actuator Bracket for Right side, is home made by Chrysler , Left side has to be Custom by you because 1.the stands (on the Air Box) that would have held the ACTUATORS will be cut from the Factory because of ..
2.The Aluminum Reinforcement Frame for the Instrument Panel passes very close over the area where the left ACTUATOR is to be mounted, so I cut a section of the frame out so the ACTUATOR can squeeze into position.
3. The right side of Box, there is that white Plastic round piece which is called a Cam Plate. Original one will not work, and this Cam Plate can not be bought alone either. The Chrysler made Bracket hovers over the Cam with 4 long legs like a spider and on top of that the bracket has small arms bent up to hold the ACTUATOR with 2 screws that screw into spider bracket.
4. small extenders( which can not be bought either) are needed to fit over the rods of each door in the box and it has custom teeth and cut to be an exact position so the Actuators will know when it has reached it's Stop (which these don't exist on the Cam or the Air Box. This is the Biggest problem that Chrysler has had many many Issues with and Law Suits because of. The Actuators are designed to move until they hit the stop, designed for it's application, and when the movement is force stopped the Actuator shuts down auto mode. Well these break alot and often and when this happens and destroys the Door rods/pivets etc. It becomes a MAJOR Reapir with HIGH Cost, The Dealership has to remove everything that is attached to the FireWall , Dash side. The Doors can only be accessed by opening the box, UNLESS you grab one of those Ebay DIY kits and then you have to Cut the box open while it is still in place and then Patch the hole.
Search this, you will be Floored on how much this is a Problem. Chrysler and Ford Both are Problems....

NOTE: The Wrangler usually takes Hand me Downs from other Models of Chrysler Line, when the Wrangler gets a new Feature etc. ....The HVAC controls are from the Sebring/Avenger 2007-up models. These ATC units are self Contained units meaning they have their own Brain to control it, so it doesn't need anything from others except Sun Sensor and Cabin Air Temp Sensor. The other sensors that will either be mentioned or whatever, are already part of every Wrangler and this isn't a fancy unit from a car Costing around $80,000.00 while so many sensors etc etc... It will simply monitor DayLight and cabin temp to control the Auto Function. No, it doesn't use the Ambient Air Sensor as some may insist that it does, But it doesn't. That sensor is already in the jeep near the Driver headlight and it is sending data to the Cluster and to a part of the HVAC unit that has nothing to do with auto temp. What it does with the HVAC, is help it from Freezing up etc. and it is the same part that has been in every jeep for many many years.....
Remember this is a Wrangler with ability to have doors off, top down or off, and Windshield down. So to make this HVAC unit too precise wouldn't make sense and would become a MAJOR headache for Owners and CHRYSLER. That's why the Wrangler is using the OLD type Cabin Temp Sensor instead of the better newer/new ones that other Models use
..Old type is a little fan inside sensor that draws air in thru it...not very precise like the
...Newer ones are Infrared sensors and usually have 2 sensors to be precise

I have to get back to My Jeep right now, So I can't Finish my list, but will soon...If Anyone wants a Certain Pic of a Certain part etc, Let me know and I will do what I can to make that Happen for you...trust me, you will want or should i say , NEED pics....
.Because you have 2 choices, Buy Air Box Kit that has everything included and replace with new one or take parts off of new box and Mod them to work for your Box (Easiest and Best option) or 2nd option is to buy 2 Actuators and then Find someone who has their Dash out and can get to these many many pieces that you will need to borrow to have made, or find another piece close to it and spend many hours building plastic pieces that will fail and break.
I repeat, Mopar/Chrysler DO NOT sell any of these MUST HAVE pieces separately and for you to find that exact one that mopar uses. is like finding that bee bee that you shot from a bee bee gun and it landed in a field full of Bee Bees that look alike but aren't the same...
Per other things he has listed are things that anyone who has completed these changes, knew from the start it wouldn't work or no reason that it would work. example, heated seats, Even if you have Mopar install heaters after you bought the Jeep, they will not and can not use the Factory switch or add it and it be in the OEM position

...Same with the A/C inverter....never expected a factory fit or use, Chrysler is Selfish and could care less if you have info. access or knowledge of how your jeep works etc...so no software will be made for that feature to work in your jeep, well not until the Law passes for Owners to have the right, It's called the RIGHT to REPAIR, meaning that Chrysler will have to share any and all info /facts if needed on that Vehicle you bought and own from them....What Chrysler is doing is Holding specs/data about the vehicles and if you take your jeep to a repair shop , say you had no other choice because it died there, it's a part or a test needs to be done, but the shop doesn't know what is used to test it or the codes they would be looking for etc....Chrysler will not and does not make this info available to them and if they do, they charge the shop heavily and may force them to rent equipment to do it....
WE have a right to know every single thing about our cars if we desire to. This greed action forces you to take it to a Dealership and get charged a high fee or repair bill. I think it's Sad and just Stupid, to go pick up parts from a Mopar parts shop etc and always, always, hear that don't know or just get a short response saying NO, you can't ....all because Knowledge isn't what Chrysler wants for them. Proof here is the way Mopar parts Look up etc is designed, designed to show you a drawing of a part, but there may be 3 to choose but there are no part numbers shown so you can make sure it's the right part, so you are always asked for a VIN.....well the Websites with discount Mopar parts do it a better way but are Limited in many ways...

Can bus communication is be an answer to making alot of things work, and that I am working on. Not something you can Rush, cause Chrysler won't share, But Sites are popping up everywhere for CanHacking and simple builds to allow you to communicate with and listen to the Network and Codes are being freely shared to make it happen...
My Home Automation system I've had and used since 1992, using X-10 devices etc to control my home with voice and motions etc are very similar in code programing as these guys are doing the Can hacks...

...Remember an Old Movie called Space Odyssey 2001....movie from the late 60's. The ship's computer system talks and interacts with the crew...blah blah...anyway the name is HaL....he kills the crew. but that is real software and the system I have used since the early 90's, Voice Recognition like the MyGig, only more...lol
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=98jeepboy;3516287]Here is some insight and some reason I did not follow through with my swap on the upgrade.

The EVIC works, Mygig works using a afternarket SW control adapter. Temp use, Cruise from originial one is used til program is finished.....

Not sure what you are talking about here, no reason to have to buy a several hundred dollar Harness, just to add 2 sensors the jeep didn't have. The ACTUATORS connect Directly to the HVAC unit...only two to add, one ACTUATOR is already in place and wired to the HVAC controls...

Don't understand what you are trying to say here....your Cluster? Meaning if i have a 2010 jeep, that it will only work with a 2011 setup...A setup of what? ..part numbered 11....WHAT?? lol...if you are saying that a part is labeled with a secret number 11 and if i want to take a speaker out of a 2012 jeep and the speaker is the same name but it will have a hidden number .........or something.....You really lost there...

Thousands and thousands of parts that are made to be used in a DodgeNitro and a Chrysler 200 and the Liberty and also goes in all wranglers year 2006-2013, 2 and 4 door fitment. This is normal and the way it is done. There are many parts ,Like the HVAC ATC unit that is the exact unit used on 3 or 4 models but have a different part number, part number are different because the unit that goes in a 200, has chrome trim on knobs and rubber knobs have a smooth feel. and the wrangler get that same internal unit but the knobs are all rubber with a texture for good grip, and the dodge one ......etc etc...,,But the turn signal stalks and cruise stalk , older style, the same part number is used on several models.

What Fan in the Jeep would require a rewire to doooooooo....I am not sure why a Fan needs a change just because????
If you are talking about the Blower, why do you think the Blower is making a change? It isn't...IN FACT the only Difference between a 2008 HVAC Unit and a 2011 Manual HVAC unit, is one is cable driven with one Actuator, which is on all Recir Door over the Blower and that 20087 Actuator is the exact same part number as the ones i bought with a manufactured date stamped 12/06/12...both are exact same shape, color, just exact match..only difference could be the two letters at the end of the part number. if part number ends with AA and new one ends with AB, same part, same fitment, same function for same models. The change is called Superceded and doesn't mean a change that will make it not work with the older one. it could be that teh housing black shade got darker etc and the letters change to mark this....

If you have Auto Headlamps then you are already in a 2011 model and no reason on this earth that a 2011 Sahara can not upgrade to ATC that was designed to go in that nodel....
What would need to be checked, is which sensor of the 3 different sensors for this model, is installed.
1.Sun sensor for Manual HVAC and auto headlamps
2.Sun sensor for Auto HVAC and auto lamps
3.sun senosr for Auto HVAC and no Auto lamps

Quick Reply: Full Interior Swap on 08, Need the pros help with wiring!! Cruise now on Wheel, etc