JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/h4-light-upgrade-canadian-jeep-drl-350443/)

DrKearnel 05-26-2019 08:40 AM

H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL

Hey all,

Looking to do an H4 headlight conversion, but having trouble finding info about this work or not with Canadian Jeeps. (I live in Michigan but the Jeep is from Canada so it has DRLs )

Can I just swap in the h4 housings and the h13 to h4 adapter, grab some lights and call it a day, or are there differences in the wiring due to the DRLs??

In the long run, I'll get a flashpac or something to move the DRLs to the fogs, but that's not in the budget right now.

Thanks!

karls10jk 05-26-2019 11:49 AM

Here's another option for you- Jscan obd app and a particular Bluetooth dongle off Amazon should be at $30 which is considerably cheaper than the flashpaq if all you're looking to do is lights and tire size. Bonus of the Jscan is that it would also read DTC's/ check engine lights for you.

DrKearnel 05-26-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4342754)
Here's another option for you- Jscan obd app and a particular Bluetooth dongle off Amazon should be at $30 which is considerably cheaper than the flashpaq if all you're looking to do is lights and tire size. Bonus of the Jscan is that it would also read DTC's/ check engine lights for you.

I've thought about that but have had back luck with Bluetooth scanners and apps in the past. Never heard of the Jspec app though. It seems to have good reviews in the Play store

Do you have a recommended dongle that doesn't suck?

karls10jk 05-26-2019 01:29 PM

I don't have a compatible dongle, as I paid $2 for it on eBay. They've got a list on their website that they confirm works wel.l

fredrok 05-26-2019 05:19 PM

Been running this kit for many years and installed for others. Very happy with it. You cannot swap only lens and bulbs due to the required current.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-he...s-sm6024j.html

DrKearnel 05-27-2019 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4342756)
I don't have a compatible dongle, as I paid $2 for it on eBay. They've got a list on their website that they confirm works wel.l

Oh good to know I'll check it out. Worth a shot for the price! Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by fredrok (Post 4342758)
Been running this kit for many years and installed for others. Very happy with it. You cannot swap only lens and bulbs due to the required current.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-he...s-sm6024j.html

Thanks, that's a nice kit for sure. I've got a good idea of which parts I'm gonna use, but my concern is about wiring with my headlights since they are DRLs not "standard" like on US Jeeps.

Just trying to get some confirmation from someone who's done an H4 swap on Canadian version.

fredrok 05-27-2019 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by DrKearnel (Post 4342762)
Oh good to know I'll check it out. Worth a shot for the price! Thanks for the info.

Thanks, that's a nice kit for sure. I've got a good idea of which parts I'm gonna use, but my concern is about wiring with my headlights since they are DRLs not "standard" like on US Jeeps.

Just trying to get some confirmation from someone who's done an H4 swap on Canadian version.

Understood. I can't imagine you're going to experience a different wiring configuration than the US since DRLs can be controlled via a tuner. We can activate that feature in the US via a tuner if desired. That harness that comes with the kit uses the stock connector/input to trigger the relays for the higher load wiring. Doesn't hurt to call them and confirm.

DrKearnel 05-27-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by fredrok (Post 4342765)
Understood. I can't imagine you're going to experience a different wiring configuration than the US since DRLs can be controlled via a tuner. We can activate that feature in the US via a tuner if desired. That harness that comes with the kit uses the stock connector/input to trigger the relays for the higher load wiring. Doesn't hurt to call them and confirm.

Ahh knew I could control DLRs with a tuner, but wasn't aware US versions can as well- ie turn them on!!! That's great info. Cheers!

fredrok 05-27-2019 07:19 AM

Good luck man, the stock lights are ridiculous and I could never stomach the expense for good LED options. Cheers

fredrok 05-27-2019 07:22 AM

A footnote I noticed on that kit after going back to it:
  • This Kit will cause your stock Day Time Running Lamps (High Beams at reduced brightness) to operate at full brightness.