Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL

 
Old 05-26-2019, 08:40 AM
  #1  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: CLARKSTON
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL

Hey all,

Looking to do an H4 headlight conversion, but having trouble finding info about this work or not with Canadian Jeeps. (I live in Michigan but the Jeep is from Canada so it has DRLs )

Can I just swap in the h4 housings and the h13 to h4 adapter, grab some lights and call it a day, or are there differences in the wiring due to the DRLs??

In the long run, I'll get a flashpac or something to move the DRLs to the fogs, but that's not in the budget right now.

Thanks!
DrKearnel is offline  
Old 05-26-2019, 11:49 AM
  #2  
JK Junkie
 
karls10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 3,583
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts
Default

Here's another option for you- Jscan obd app and a particular Bluetooth dongle off Amazon should be at $30 which is considerably cheaper than the flashpaq if all you're looking to do is lights and tire size. Bonus of the Jscan is that it would also read DTC's/ check engine lights for you.
karls10jk is online now  
Old 05-26-2019, 01:14 PM
  #3  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: CLARKSTON
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by karls10jk View Post
Here's another option for you- Jscan obd app and a particular Bluetooth dongle off Amazon should be at $30 which is considerably cheaper than the flashpaq if all you're looking to do is lights and tire size. Bonus of the Jscan is that it would also read DTC's/ check engine lights for you.
I've thought about that but have had back luck with Bluetooth scanners and apps in the past. Never heard of the Jspec app though. It seems to have good reviews in the Play store

Do you have a recommended dongle that doesn't suck?
DrKearnel is offline  
Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 PM
  #4  
JK Junkie
 
karls10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 3,583
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts
Default

I don't have a compatible dongle, as I paid $2 for it on eBay. They've got a list on their website that they confirm works wel.l
karls10jk is online now  
Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM
  #5  
JK Freak
 
fredrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Been running this kit for many years and installed for others. Very happy with it. You cannot swap only lens and bulbs due to the required current.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-he...s-sm6024j.html
fredrok is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 04:17 AM
  #6  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: CLARKSTON
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by karls10jk View Post
I don't have a compatible dongle, as I paid $2 for it on eBay. They've got a list on their website that they confirm works wel.l
Oh good to know I'll check it out. Worth a shot for the price! Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by fredrok View Post
Been running this kit for many years and installed for others. Very happy with it. You cannot swap only lens and bulbs due to the required current.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-he...s-sm6024j.html
Thanks, that's a nice kit for sure. I've got a good idea of which parts I'm gonna use, but my concern is about wiring with my headlights since they are DRLs not "standard" like on US Jeeps.

Just trying to get some confirmation from someone who's done an H4 swap on Canadian version.
DrKearnel is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 AM
  #7  
JK Freak
 
fredrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DrKearnel View Post
Oh good to know I'll check it out. Worth a shot for the price! Thanks for the info.



Thanks, that's a nice kit for sure. I've got a good idea of which parts I'm gonna use, but my concern is about wiring with my headlights since they are DRLs not "standard" like on US Jeeps.

Just trying to get some confirmation from someone who's done an H4 swap on Canadian version.
Understood. I can't imagine you're going to experience a different wiring configuration than the US since DRLs can be controlled via a tuner. We can activate that feature in the US via a tuner if desired. That harness that comes with the kit uses the stock connector/input to trigger the relays for the higher load wiring. Doesn't hurt to call them and confirm.
fredrok is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 AM
  #8  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: CLARKSTON
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fredrok View Post
Understood. I can't imagine you're going to experience a different wiring configuration than the US since DRLs can be controlled via a tuner. We can activate that feature in the US via a tuner if desired. That harness that comes with the kit uses the stock connector/input to trigger the relays for the higher load wiring. Doesn't hurt to call them and confirm.
Ahh knew I could control DLRs with a tuner, but wasn't aware US versions can as well- ie turn them on!!! That's great info. Cheers!
DrKearnel is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:19 AM
  #9  
JK Freak
 
fredrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Good luck man, the stock lights are ridiculous and I could never stomach the expense for good LED options. Cheers
fredrok is offline  
The following users liked this post:
DrKearnel (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 AM
  #10  
JK Freak
 
fredrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

A footnote I noticed on that kit after going back to it:
  • This Kit will cause your stock Day Time Running Lamps (High Beams at reduced brightness) to operate at full brightness.
fredrok is offline  

Quick Reply: H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: