Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL

Old 05-26-2019, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL

Hey all,

Looking to do an H4 headlight conversion, but having trouble finding info about this work or not with Canadian Jeeps. (I live in Michigan but the Jeep is from Canada so it has DRLs )

Can I just swap in the h4 housings and the h13 to h4 adapter, grab some lights and call it a day, or are there differences in the wiring due to the DRLs??

In the long run, I'll get a flashpac or something to move the DRLs to the fogs, but that's not in the budget right now.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Here's another option for you- Jscan obd app and a particular Bluetooth dongle off Amazon should be at $30 which is considerably cheaper than the flashpaq if all you're looking to do is lights and tire size. Bonus of the Jscan is that it would also read DTC's/ check engine lights for you.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Here's another option for you- Jscan obd app and a particular Bluetooth dongle off Amazon should be at $30 which is considerably cheaper than the flashpaq if all you're looking to do is lights and tire size. Bonus of the Jscan is that it would also read DTC's/ check engine lights for you.
I've thought about that but have had back luck with Bluetooth scanners and apps in the past. Never heard of the Jspec app though. It seems to have good reviews in the Play store

Do you have a recommended dongle that doesn't suck?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't have a compatible dongle, as I paid $2 for it on eBay. They've got a list on their website that they confirm works wel.l
Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Been running this kit for many years and installed for others. Very happy with it. You cannot swap only lens and bulbs due to the required current.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-he...s-sm6024j.html
Old 05-27-2019, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I don't have a compatible dongle, as I paid $2 for it on eBay. They've got a list on their website that they confirm works wel.l
Oh good to know I'll check it out. Worth a shot for the price! Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by fredrok
Been running this kit for many years and installed for others. Very happy with it. You cannot swap only lens and bulbs due to the required current.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-he...s-sm6024j.html
Thanks, that's a nice kit for sure. I've got a good idea of which parts I'm gonna use, but my concern is about wiring with my headlights since they are DRLs not "standard" like on US Jeeps.

Just trying to get some confirmation from someone who's done an H4 swap on Canadian version.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DrKearnel
Oh good to know I'll check it out. Worth a shot for the price! Thanks for the info.

Thanks, that's a nice kit for sure. I've got a good idea of which parts I'm gonna use, but my concern is about wiring with my headlights since they are DRLs not "standard" like on US Jeeps.

Just trying to get some confirmation from someone who's done an H4 swap on Canadian version.
Understood. I can't imagine you're going to experience a different wiring configuration than the US since DRLs can be controlled via a tuner. We can activate that feature in the US via a tuner if desired. That harness that comes with the kit uses the stock connector/input to trigger the relays for the higher load wiring. Doesn't hurt to call them and confirm.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fredrok
Understood. I can't imagine you're going to experience a different wiring configuration than the US since DRLs can be controlled via a tuner. We can activate that feature in the US via a tuner if desired. That harness that comes with the kit uses the stock connector/input to trigger the relays for the higher load wiring. Doesn't hurt to call them and confirm.
Ahh knew I could control DLRs with a tuner, but wasn't aware US versions can as well- ie turn them on!!! That's great info. Cheers!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Good luck man, the stock lights are ridiculous and I could never stomach the expense for good LED options. Cheers
The following users liked this post:
DrKearnel (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

A footnote I noticed on that kit after going back to it:
  • This Kit will cause your stock Day Time Running Lamps (High Beams at reduced brightness) to operate at full brightness.

Quick Reply: H4 light upgrade-Canadian Jeep with DRL