Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hard wired radar detector/gps

Old 02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard wired radar detector/gps

Right now i have my radar detector plugged into the left aux power spot in my jeep. i tucked the wire in between the radio, A/C and the trim. I want to hard wire it so it is not using up the aux spot. The other requirement is that i would like to have it turn off when the jeep turns off.

Same Idea for the GPS power but not as much of a concern about power off b/c i put it away when not in use. both go in the middle of the windshield/dash.

Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did something like this, except my permanent location is in the top left corner of the windshield. nice and out of the way. i did a very simple hardwire. about $6. pick up one of these things.

its just another 12v plug you can wire in. about 2 feet of wire with it. i pulled off that side panel on the left and put the extra plug there, and ran the wires behind the dash, but in front of the steering column. then, pop off the dash panel and splice it into the positive and negative sides of the LEFT cig lighter. this one is only hot when the key is in accessory or cranked up. now, you can simply plug your radar detector of gps power cord into the extra one you installed, with all the wires hidden behind the dash on the left side. then just run your power cable up behind the plastic of the a-pillar.

if you want pics of how i did it, just let me know and i'll take a few.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the same install for my GPS today--thanks!

Quick Reply: Hard wired radar detector/gps