Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

headlight upgrade?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So here's my dilemma about LED's. While I live in SoCal so I only visit snow, I don't want to have to worry about snow covering up the lights when I do and having to clean them off..... I am planning to drive up to Tahoe winter time so that's almost a given snow drive (last year when I was driving up it was pretty bad)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejtar
So here's my dilemma about LED's. While I live in SoCal so I only visit snow, I don't want to have to worry about snow covering up the lights when I do and having to clean them off..... I am planning to drive up to Tahoe winter time so that's almost a given snow drive (last year when I was driving up it was pretty bad)
You can get the JW speakers with built in heaters for snow.
I got the JWs but without the heater and they are great. I picked them up last year for black friday and saved at least $100 I believe. Might be worth holding off for a couple of weeks to get some deals!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AXIS
You can get the JW speakers with built in heaters for snow. I got the JWs but without the heater and they are great. I picked them up last year for black friday and saved at least $100 I believe. Might be worth holding off for a couple of weeks to get some deals!
You mean trucklites? I don't think JW has heated lenses yet.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts
Default ??? Anti Flicker .. What did you Buy?

Did you purchase the anti flicker shown in Amazon ?
Originally Posted by Riptide9
These LED's are run on over 99% of JK's in my area.

Cheap and great light pattern. I have been running these on both mine and my wife's JK's for the last 3 years and have never had an issue. Direct fit with no flickering

$89 for a set (2) and include daytime running lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 675949
Old 11-07-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

I see a lot of people around here running the eBay style lights like some of the examples. I don’t know if they don’t have them adjusted - or they’re not DOT approved with a proper cut-off but they’re blinding as FAWK. It drives me crazy.
Spend the money and get kc’s, TL’s, or one of the other mainstream brands that are DOT approved.
Look at the comments in the amazon link above - “Not DOT approved†but 99% of the Jeeps in his area run them.
Ugh!!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORA Night Guard LED Headlights (Pair) for Jeeps, Motorcycles & More - Off Road Additions LLC

DOT approved
Old 11-08-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Same headlight on Amazon for $122 a pair

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Projec...eadlights&th=1

Or with cool yellow integrated blinkers for $114 a pair
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TEMSAO..._t5_B01N12O0VP

Or Headlights and led fog lights (4 total) for $138 (DOT Approved)

https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Daym...70_&dpSrc=srch

Still don't get the need to pay $250-$500 for JK headlights

BTW - If a product is listed as “DOT Approved” or “DOT Certified” it just means that the manufacturers built it to spec and regulation to meet certain standards. Nothing needs to be submitted to the DOT to achieve this certification, it’s actually up to the manufacturer to determine whether or not their product meets the requirements. DOT doesn’t approve individual lights, only sets a standard.

Last edited by Riptide9; 11-08-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Good to know! I assumed DOT had something to do with it being safe for driving (proper pattern and such).

I dunno - I see too many people using cube lights in the fog position and blinding everyone with their flood or spot pattern. Thinking it must be ok because they sell it as a jk fog mounting kit. Drives me crazy!!!! So I’m a little hypersensitive about aftermarket lights :-)

I do agree that $500 is way too much for led headlights. I’m running the KC/pederson lights which have a perfect cut-off as to not blind oncoming traffic - but they should be a $200 light in my opinion. Total racket
Old 11-11-2017, 01:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I run the IPF headlights from Northridge 4x4. They are not DOT approved, but if I didn't tell you that you'd never know*. If you want modestly priced headlights that perform like you would expect a stock headlight to, these do exactly that. Mine came with funky blue $80 bulbs, which I gave away and replaced with $20 Sylvania halogens. They are perfect, as far as I'm concerned. They look like a proper headlight for a Jeep, and they fit the motorcycle headlamp guards I found online quite nicely (needed for driving the Dempster and Dalton Highways last year).

I believe these are the correct ones, but before they weren't advertised as an ARB product. Double-check with Northridge to make sure. Maybe they even made them DOT compliant!

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/h...round-headlamp

*Stand in front of the headlight, looking almost straight down on it. Move you head around until you see a bright spot coming up at you. That's why they failed the DOT test. If oncoming traffic is affected by that spot, it's too late to prevent an accident--he's within a few feet of your bumper. and pretty high above you in his semi tractor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Doiron:
Cascade Wanderer (03-22-2018), hibypass (01-17-2018)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 AM
JK Freak

I went from Truck-Lite LEDs with the RallyLights/Susquehanna Motorsports harness (HL28130JP H13 to H4 Upgrade Headlamp Harness - Jeep JK Wrangler 2007>) back to halogen with Hella E-Code H4 housings and Philips Xtreme Power Bulbs. Couldn't stand the X artifact on the Truck-Lites, the low beam didn't have much throw/distance and not a fan of the cool white color of LEDs. The Hella E-Codes have a smoother beam pattern, more throw/distance on low beam, more neutral color so everything isn't washed and with the RallyLights harness you get full power to the bulbs since it bypasses the CANBUS. Only con is having to replace bulbs, especially with higher watts/+light.

Quick Reply: headlight upgrade?