Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I have the inifinity speakers and sub, but don't see anything special about the HU?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the inifinity speakers and sub, but don't see anything special about the HU?

It doesn't say Infinity on it that I can see. My build sheet (08 JKX 2 door) lists the inifinity 6 speaker option code (RC9) and the HU code is "Media Center 130 CD/MP3" (RESS)

I'm looking for more/better sound. I notice on any song with deeper bass it seems like the system is running the full signal through all the speakers, and not separating the bass to the subwoofer. The dash and sound bar speakers distort.

Is this a HU issue, a speaker issue, or....? We had an older Grand Cherokee (99) and the thing literally pounded out the bass from the factory and overall had a great sound. The JK is embarrassing by comparison. I understand the wranglers aren't exactly optimal sound rooms, but still, there has to be an improvement. I'm just not sure of the path from where I'm starting.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

saw better system in myh life yet when your yong anything that get your boom loud is good lol
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same system as you and it sounds pretty good to me. The sub provides good bass and sounds alot better than the jeeps without them. My dad has an 05 grand cherokee with the infinity system as well. mine sounds just as good. I mean no you cant feel the bass in your chest but if you want that then you need at least a 10 or 12 back there. I think the infinity system sounds great.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree that it sounds pretty good. But at higher volume levels the distortion really comes out. I'm guessing it's due to low power from the head unit.

I hadn't noticed it until I ran around all weekend with top and doors off. Out on the back country roads when I cranked the music (to drown the wind noise) it would distort pretty badly. I'm nearly 40, and am not playing kids bass music. But I'm not too old to like it loud now and then
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

the infinity in my dad grand Cherokee was sounding better then my JK infinity.
Think the problem is coming from the ambient noise level, I currently run base +3 and all other at 0 at around 13-15 level I can feel the base vibration on the floor and steering, but the music hardly cover the engine sound and external sound. It also depend on the cd quality.

Quick Reply: I have the inifinity speakers and sub, but don't see anything special about the HU?