Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

help me figure out what this is please

Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me figure out what this is please

Alright guys just found this in the back of a storage closet at my house. Apparently someone's been holding out on me. It came from my sister's old car. Can anyone tell me what Kickers these are and how I can get these up and running in my Jeep?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

They are 12" Kicker CVR. The CVR model subs were the like the middle grade Kickers. A mono block 400-600 watt RMS (continuous power) amplifier would be suitable as long as you are running both of them bridged.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BAND-AID
They are 12" Kicker CVR. The CVR model subs were the like the middle grade Kickers. A mono block 400-600 watt RMS (continuous power) amplifier would be suitable as long as you are running both of them bridged.
so does this mean they're good? I know absolutely nothing about audio electronics. Also have no idea what kind of amp that is. I googled it and will try to figure it out. What do you mean by bridged?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

when you hook up two subs that are dual voice coil, which is what they are, to one amp then you need to bride them to one channel on the amp (hence mono block) this way it distributes more power to the subs and in the same amount. The subs arent the best but they arent the worse. Just take it to a best buy and say "i need and amp for these" problem solved.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BAND-AID
when you hook up two subs that are dual voice coil, which is what they are, to one amp then you need to bride them to one channel on the amp (hence mono block) this way it distributes more power to the subs and in the same amount. The subs arent the best but they arent the worse. Just take it to a best buy and say "i need and amp for these" problem solved.
Ok thank you so much. Two more questions.. Do you have an estimate on how much one of these amps might be? And would I need to take it somewhere for wiring or is it a DYI job?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know nothing about car amps or wiring I would take it to someone. I'd get the amp off the internet. Most local places jack up the price on amps. You need about a 600 watt amp that makes that power at the ohm load for those subs. Looks like that box is ported. You will really like it when you get it setup. Amps are easy to wire up if you know what you are doing.

Last edited by Jusaplaya; 04-23-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
If you know nothing about car amps or wiring I would take it to someone. I'd get the amp off the internet. Most local places jack up the price on amps. You need about a 600 watt amp that makes that power at the ohm load for those subs. Looks like that box is ported. You will really like it when you get it setup. Amps are easy to wire up if you know what you are doing.
So if I were to search for one on the internet would I just search "600 watt amp"? Also, the box I have now doesn't fit in the back without the seat having the be folded up. Anything I can do about that?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

You could get a different sub box if that one is to big. This is gonna be pretty loud when you get it setup. You gotta take the woofers out of the box and find out what ohm load they are wired for. Your gonna want a class d amp for this, but you can't buy one till you find out how much load is gonna be put on it. You can hook this up yourself. I'd imagine. 600 watt amp is gonna need a 4 gauge amp kit. How old are you? Are you comfortable wireing stuff up? This is really simple to hook up. I haven't bought amps in a long time, but I have worked on them for people. Phoenix gold, rockford fosgate, mtx, etc.. They are all good. You wire the amp up properly and they will last for years.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
You could get a different sub box if that one is to big. This is gonna be pretty loud when you get it setup. You gotta take the woofers out of the box and find out what ohm load they are wired for. Your gonna want a class d amp for this, but you can't buy one till you find out how much load is gonna be put on it. You can hook this up yourself. I'd imagine. 600 watt amp is gonna need a 4 gauge amp kit. How old are you? Are you comfortable wireing stuff up? This is really simple to hook up. I haven't bought amps in a long time, but I have worked on them for people. Phoenix gold, rockford fosgate, mtx, etc.. They are all good. You wire the amp up properly and they will last for years.
How do I figure out what ohm load they are wired for? How do I take them out? The only screws I saw were on the front of the woofers themselves. There didn't look to be any way to take the box apart. I'm 19 and I am comfortable with it somewhat, but I've never done anything audio wise, just lights.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

You carefully take the screws out of the front of the woofer. Look at the back of the woofer and it should tell you what it is. Model number and Something like Dual 4 ohm, dual 2 ohm, or 8 ohm woofer. Be careful not to hit the surround taking the screws out. Once we know that it will help a bunch.

Quick Reply: help me figure out what this is please