Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID sealed projector retrofit

Old 03-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I ignored everyone today and spent the entire day in the garage. Got it done. Some pics:

Fishing the switched power from the cig lighter:

Wired up the relays:

Relay connectors in and in place:

With relays:

And the lid:

There wasn't much more to photograph, it was just hours of running wire looms and making connections. I make every effort to avoid splices and I think the only two I was forced to make are the battery and switched power connections. Everything else is a single run. Sooooo after wrapping it up I was all excited to turn everything on and see it all work. I turned the key on, checked the running lights worked, switched on the headlights and.... zip. After some quick troubleshooting I'm pretty sure the batteries are just drained from being sitting so long while testing headlights. I did get one light to fire up so I'm reasonably sure everything is connected properly. It's charging now and I'll give it a shot in the morning. If it wasn't dark, snowing, and slightly uphill, I'd have rolled it out and jumped it with the pickup. It was a long day though and I'm tired.

So tomorrow I'll function check them and aim them. Then I'll throw some of the prototype shrouds I have laying around on so I can drive it. Next on the list is settling on a shroud design and adding DRL, turn signals and marker lights to make sure those all work. The multimeter says they work though so I'm confident. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

My son came out for the test run. A few minor issues to remedy, but all in all we're getting there.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Out and about today

I kinda dig the orange. Maybe I'll keep some wacky shrouds around for special occasions. I've been plotting and scheming how I'm going to incorporate all the auxiliary lights into the shrouds, it's going to be awesome.

So the big question was finally answered, how is the light?? And the glorious answer is - IT"S AWESOME! I haven't taken any real photos but the output is excellent and the pattern and cutoff are wonderful. I have some aiming to do left to right, but first impressions are that this will be very satisfactory. Here;'s the shot I did get last night:

Obviously it's not as blindingly bright as it looks here, but it's plenty bright. You can see the shadow of the stinger off to the right. I haven't done any real strenuous testing of the high beams, but I expect I'll have to add a capacitor if I want to flash the high beams quickly without shutting down the ballasts. It's a shame the high beam switch controls the dumb high beam circuit..

Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great job you did there. I actually think the orange shrouds look good.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Thanks! I kinda like them too. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a box full of different designs and colors that will be quick to swap.

Quick Reply: HID sealed projector retrofit