Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

High Current Battery and Alternator Suggestions for High Power Audio System?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default High Current Battery and Alternator Suggestions for High Power Audio System?

Hi,
I just finished installing a pretty intense 7.2 surround sound audio system in my JK. I kind of assumed ahead of time that I "might" have some problems with the stock battery and alternator being able to supply enough power when I turned the volume up....but decided to finish the install and see how she goes afterwords. Between 4 amplifiers, a MyGig RER, dual rear seat video displays, I'm probably running around 3000 Watts give or take a few 100 Watts.

So as I kind of expected, at night my head lights start to flicker when the subs hit.

So my next step is to get a high performance alternator and a more powerful battery and am looking for some suggestions/recommendations.

I plan to install an electric winch in the future, so keep that in mind also....so I can kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm not really interested in doing a dual battery install.

Thanks,
Red
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking but did you install a farad capacitor with all your electronic goodies? If not I'd highly suggest adding a 1.x or 2.x size capacitor. Again assuming you don't have one - that'll help substantually with the dimming lights. It stores the energy that your subs rob - allowing your alternator to replenish the capacitor on-demand.

I'm only chiming because been there done that with a GMC Sonoma I used to compete in USACi Audio Competitions with.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

I thought about adding a large cap, but I always thought those where mainly for stabilizing the voltage to reduce ripple voltage to prevent engine whine? I don't have any engine noise in my audio system.

Hmmmmm??? Might have to check that out. I probably still want to get the Batt and Alt upgrade though.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you should install a cap to stabilize voltage throughout the system. Preventing engine whine is usually a byproduct of a large stereo capacitor, it's main function in this case is to store energy for bursts of high demand.

I'd also recommend installing dual deep cycle batteries (or one deep and one starting). Even with a high capacity alternator, you may have times when you're draining the batteries faster than they're being charged. This way you can also isolate one of the batteries for starting so you never run out of juice. It will also isolate the Jeep's PCM and ignition from your accessories since they draw so much: you'd wire the stock systems to one battery (the starting type if you don't get 2 deeps) and your infotainment and winch to the other.

Of course that is an added expense, but you already spent all that on the stereo system, you should have that setup to make it all work correctly and be reliable.

As far as the alternator goes, Mean Green #1388 is a 200A+ direct replacement unit.

Enjoy the tunes!

Last edited by Alec; 08-04-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for all the info!!!

I'll probably just go with one deep cell marine battery. I'm not going to be running this thing at loud levels that often, just occasionally and I might be participating in some competition sound events. I'll make sure I bring a battery charger for those. Then when I get the winch I won't be winching and blaring the tunes at the same time.

Any recommendations on a Deep Cell Marine, that will fit in the JK?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
JK Freak

Optima Yellow or Blue or Sears DieHard Platinum.

I used to always run Optimas but many on this forum have like the DieHard Plat so I'm going to be trying that soon as my stocker is almost 3 years old.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alec
Optima Yellow or Blue or Sears DieHard Platinum.

I used to always run Optimas but many on this forum have like the DieHard Plat so I'm going to be trying that soon as my stocker is almost 3 years old.
Yeah, I was originally going to go with an Optima Yellow, but I've heard a lot of great things about the DieHard Platinum also.

Now time to go shopping.
1- Large Audio Cap
1- 200A Alt
1- Die Hard Platinum

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-05-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Since you guys seem like pros, tell me what you think of my system layout. I have to finish EQing it, and then I'll take some SPL measurements, but just sitting in it right now and turning it up...the sound pressure waves will make my hair move. Every Speaker has it's own amp channel and each amp channel can be EQed individually.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Looks good. The hardest part I think about a system in the JK is the stock speaker locations. The front tweeters and soundbar are ok. But the front mids point directly at your knees. I don't know if your mids are omnidirectional or more focused.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alec
Looks good. The hardest part I think about a system in the JK is the stock speaker locations. The front tweeters and soundbar are ok. But the front mids point directly at your knees. I don't know if your mids are omnidirectional or more focused.
I'm not sure either. The problem I noticed with those front 6.5's currently is the lack of bass punch that I seem to be getting out of them. I believe that's because of the minimal enclosure size available behind those speakers. I'll work on the punch more when I start EQing it and see what I can do to get as much punch as possible. The tweets I installed can get some pretty decent mids out of them as well as the center channel speaker. So that helps out quite a bit to bring the image of the mids up higher, instead of being pointed at your knees.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-05-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: High Current Battery and Alternator Suggestions for High Power Audio System?