Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

how do i keep the fogs on with the highbeams?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i keep the fogs on with the highbeams?

does anyone know of a way to do this?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wire an auxiliary power power source from the fogs to a switch in the dash. If you get a wire tap you might be able to splice it into the factory power line so you can use the light switch on the stalk and hit the auxiliary switch when you flip the high beams on

Last edited by D_engel; 03-13-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

If I'm not mistaking the high/low beam light change is in the switch. The fog lights and the low beam have a common "hammer" that opens both circuits or just one depending on switch location. The high beam, however does not allow the "hammer" in the switch to activate fog and high beam together. You would need to change to a switch that allows for this, or like posted above, rewire them to a separate switch all together. If you do that make sure you have an inline fuse as they draw larger amperage. The factory lights, work from a relay to decrease the amperage, also, you may need a ballast resister so the don't flicker. You can probably find a wire harness that does all this at painlesswiring.com
Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

It's actually illegal to run highbeams and fog lights at the same time in PA. Which I really don't understand since you can run bumper mounted driving lamps that throw light forever down the road.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at this a couple years ago. You have to be careful as the computer controls the fogs, so just running a splice to turn them on may back-feed the computer. I decided that separate relays would be needed to protect the circuits. Ended up being too much effort. If I need them both on, I just hold the high-beam flash on (pull the directional lever towards you) for the short times I need it - the fogs stay on (and the the computer will report a stuck switch if one reads it with the MOPAR tool).
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
It's actually illegal to run highbeams and fog lights at the same time in PA. Which I really don't understand since you can run bumper mounted driving lamps that throw light forever down the road.
yea but if a cop doesnt see it then theres nothing to worry about
Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

I know that when I changed my stock lights to the hid running off a relay harness the fogs stay on when I hit the high beams so which ever system you might upgrade to as long as it's controled by an independent harness then your fogs will stay on with your highs

My h13 harness is wired directly to the battery and one part of it plugs into the passenger side stock bulb socket

Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
You are correct about being illegal to run the fogs with the high beams in Pa. It is also illegal to run driving lights with low beams, as according to the ispection standards both fogs (if you have them), and driving lights (if you have them) should be inspected and work correctly. If not it is cause for rejection.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDude90
does anyone know of a way to do this?
There is only one way. You have to install a new harness to you OEM fogs. Then you can wire the controls to wor either from the OEM switch. Or a new manual switch.

Quick Reply: how do i keep the fogs on with the highbeams?