Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How much is too much for the cig lighter power source?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much for the cig lighter power source?

I'm getting concerned as I have a tv tuner, video monitor and GPS nav all tapping into the driver side cig lighter power source. All lines from the power source have fuses between power and unit just in case.

Is that too much for that power source? Is there another easily accessible source I can tap into?

I'm going to be adding 3 cameras or so and not sure how much power they draw, but I'd like to tap them into the same or similar non-constant power source.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd probably stop at that point. Sure, you don't have a hairdryer plugged in, but that's still a good amount of stuff.

Most of those radioshack cigarette lighter power adapters have 3 ports max, so I'd guess anythign more than that isn't good.

Also, tapping into a wire multiple times increases the chance something will go wrong. Improperly tapping in could lead to short circuiting (something that CAN'T be good on a vehicle that's completely dependent on a computer). Also, you run the risk of heat buildup on the wire, and even a fire.

I'm personally thinking up ideas of making a new powerblock to mount behind the dash for accessories I want to add (GPS, CB, etc.). This way I can come off the battery, not worrying about interferring with the factory wiring (no void warranties.... no frying of the computer....). I've seen some expensive options by Painless wiring, and I've also considered simply wiring up a car stereo distribution block.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

I added a power block using the cig power wire to relay the block so the power is only on when the ignition is on.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I added a power block using the cig power wire to relay the block so the power is only on when the ignition is on.
do you have any pics or further info on how you wired this up? what power block did you use?

So you ran the block to the battery and ground and used the power outlet as the remote wire? Or is it more complex than that?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

I used a relay. The cig outlet activates the relay when the ignition is on. I routed a wire to a 4 fuse block, that I got at Advance Auto, and run direct power to my accessories.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I used a relay. The cig outlet activates the relay when the ignition is on. I routed a wire to a 4 fuse block, that I got at Advance Auto, and run direct power to my accessories.
I've looked into the distribution blocks and all that, but it seems most basically have a power wire going in and multiple ports out. How do you setup the relay to turn on/off power to the block?

The items I'll be powering don't have on/off switches so I need to setup a relay or power-on only with ignition, like the drivers side cig lighter works.

Or do you actually buy a "relay" component of some sort? Sorry --- just getting in a little over my head on this one. Tapping into the cig lighter was sooo easy but I don't want to over do it.

Quick Reply: How much is too much for the cig lighter power source?