Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I want to build a SPOD

Old 07-28-2016, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to build a SPOD

I want to try to build a SPOD, but have no clue where to start. I am not very electrical smart when it comes to wiring thins up. So if anyone can point me in the right direction on where to find a easy DIY SPOD write up with pictures or diagram I would really appreciate it. I work out of town a lot and it is something that I can do why I'm sitting in the hotel
Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here ya go...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ekwire-324558/
Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
This is the one I built and it was rather easy. Just needed some tutorial on how to soldier. Works like a champ and have not need to change. If you have questions hit PVann up or myself.

R/
Will
Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Same here. Running the same and no worries.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For about the same amount of money it would cost to build one, you can buy one on Amazon. I purchased the Lite-way version for under $200 and I am extremely pleased with it thus far. I have pictures of the install on my Facebook build page. http://www.facebook.com/JeepWars/
Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greynolds08
I want to try to build a SPOD, but have no clue where to start. I am not very electrical smart when it comes to wiring thins up. So if anyone can point me in the right direction on where to find a easy DIY SPOD write up with pictures or diagram I would really appreciate it. I work out of town a lot and it is something that I can do why I'm sitting in the hotel
I am a electrician by trade and wanted to do the same thing to save a few $. I did all the research and the busman from waytech was at the top of my list. After figuring my time, parts and wire to make the harness it still was going to cost me a few $. Than a friend showed me his Spod knock off. All things considered I went with it. I figured the time I saved was worth the extra money. and it wasn't that much $.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...82319913.html#!

For the price and features it has I went with it. Easy install. works great. The switches are a Carling style and interchangeable. I replaced a factory switch with a different one (2 pole single throw, on-off-on) so I could trigger my rear bumper lights with my reverse lights. position #1 lights on in reverse. position #2 lights off position #3 lights on without reverse lights. And the built in Volt meter is nice. just thought you might like a different option. Good luck.

Last edited by jhg11567; 08-10-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

I am a electrician by trade and wanted to do the same thing to save a few $. I did all the research and the busman from waytech was at the top of my list. After figuring my time, parts and wire to make the harness it still was going to cost me a few $. Than a friend showed me his Spod knock off. All things considered I went with it. I figured the time I saved was worth the extra money. and it wasn't that much $.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...82319913.html#!

For the price and features it has I went with it. Easy install. works great. The switches are a Carling style and interchangeable. I replaced a factory switch with a different one (2 pole single throw, on-off-on) so I could trigger my rear backup lights. position #1 lights on in reverse. position #2 lights off position #3 lights on. And the built in Volt meter is nice. just thought you might like a different option. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy China batman.... Not sure I'd trust that thing to power a kids toy....
Old 09-03-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Search for "dbox" here (many threads) or over at YouTube "dbox off road". NEWERJK has a nice video tutorial for a DIY box similar to the SPOD. Takes some time and patience to build it, but well worth it.

Quick Reply: I want to build a SPOD