Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity System Popping Noise - New Speaker Fix?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity System Popping Noise - New Speaker Fix?

Hey All,

I have a 2008 JKU Sahara with the 7 speaker infinity system.
With the bass turned up past 4 I get an very annoying popping noise coming out of all speakers.

I was able to find the TSB for this fix. However, I no longer have any warrantee and when I brought it to a few local dealers they wanted $80.00+ to apply the fix.

My question is:
Has anyone replaced the 4 factory 6.5 speakers(rear sound bar & and front dash) with new better after market speakers and seen the popping noise go away?

My theory is that $80.00 is only a simply computer grade to lower the amplifier on the system to compensate for the popping noise which is a result of too much power to the speakers. BY upgrading the speakers for around $150.00 for 4 new 6.5 speakers on sale that this would be a better solution.

I would hate to upgrade and still have the popping noise though.

Would really apprecaite any comments from people who might have done this.

Thanks!

Last edited by beng885; 01-19-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i get a pop here and there on heavy bass from my right front speaker. Figured i just played my music too loud and effed with the speaker. itd be nice to hear from someone with actual audio experience who knows the reasons haha
Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beng885
Hey All,

I have a 2008 JKU Sahara with the 7 speaker infinity system.
With the bass turned up past 4 I get an very annoying popping noise coming out of all speakers.

I was able to find the TSB for this fix. However, I no longer have any warrantee and when I brought it to a few local dealers they wanted $80.00+ to apply the fix.

My question is:
Has anyone replaced the 4 factory 6.5 speakers(rear sound bar & and front dash) with new better after market speakers and seen the popping noise go away?

My theory is that $80.00 is only a simply computer grade to lower the amplifier on the system to compensate for the popping noise which is a result of too much power to the speakers. BY upgrading the speakers for around $150.00 for 4 new 6.5 speakers on sale that this would be a better solution.

I would hate to upgrade and still have the popping noise though.

Would really apprecaite any comments from people who might have done this.

Thanks!
I am in the extact same boat. I have some audio experience and I would think the speakers is a good place to start. Upgrading from crap paper cones can never hurt. If it continues it may be time to look into upgrading the head unit. Audio is only as good as the quality of signal it is coming from. Mine is CPO, so i have warrenty for 3 months. I am going to have them fix it next week and will report back.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

The popping noise is do to damaged voice coil , system was cranked to loud and the louder you crank it the more distortion you get this can cause damage to the voice coil, you can try the file method to fix the speaker for a short turn if it gets more poppy and scratchy , it,s best to replace , file method for speakers carefully push speaker in and out starting at 12 o'clock then 2 4 6 8 10, you are listening for scratching noise when the voice coil is damaged once the spot is located continue to push in and out on the spot (carefully) until the noise goes away
Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use Pandora Internet radio a lot and after completely replacing the sound system some songs that play on the free version of Pandora pop, some are also overdriven, some are crystal clear and sound perfect. My setup is always crystal clear with CD's and such.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

My speakers do this too. I found that if you dont turn the volume all the way up on your ipod or whatever you are using, the popping goes away.

Last edited by joecarioscia92; 02-18-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc319
i get a pop here and there on heavy bass from my right front speaker. Figured i just played my music too loud and effed with the speaker. itd be nice to hear from someone with actual audio experience who knows the reasons haha

The problem that is happening is that DIGITAL clipping is occurring inside of the amp. It's a combination of playing music which is already high in level in bass and then additionally turning up the bass control.

This happens in some early 2008 JK's with the Infinity system ONLY.

Have you ever heard of people swapping the JK Infinity amp for the Dodge Nitro amp???? Well, this swap is EXACTLY what you currently have in your 2008 JK. When they swap the Nitro amp into their JK, it's actually using the 2008 JK settings. The 2008 JK settings inside the amp are the best sounding settings. The problem is that they pushed the settings a tad too much on the bass and that causes the digital clipping when the music you're listening to is high in bass and you turn up the bass control.

SWAPPING THE SPEAKERS WILL DO NOTHING!!!! This clipping is happening in the audio signal prior to the sound reaching the speakers.

What you'll want to do is to back off on the Bass boost setting. Obviously, you prefer more bass if you're hearing this popping sound. Well, if you prefer more bass, then instead of boosting the bass control, you can achieve similar results by turning down the Mid and Treble setting and then raising the volume control. Less mid and treble= More BASS.

You can do a search on Infinity Nitro amp swap and probably find lots of information about how it sounds better. People "think" they're actually loading the settings from the Nitro amp and some how getting a better sounding system. Those people are MISINFORMED. The Infinity amps contain ALL the settings for each Chrysler vehicle and when you plug the amp into a particular vehicle, the vehicle sends your VIN information to the amp and the amp loads the settings for that particular vehicle. So these people are actually paying for what you currently have now in YOUR 2008 JK. Later in 2008, Chrysler decided to get rid of the popping sound that you're hearing by going back to the 2007 amp settings which wasn't as loud. didn't have as much bass....but also didn't have the popping sound problem. These settings are now in the 2009-2012 etc....and if you take your JK in for warranty due to the popping sound, they will update the amp with these settings...which doesn't sound as good...but don't have the popping sound.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-18-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joecarioscia92
My speakers do this too. I found that if you dont turn the volume all the way up on your ipod or whatever you are using, the popping goes away.
Exactly....if you turn down the volume on the iPod, then you are lowering the bass and everything else and preventing the clipping scenario I just outlined. If you're playing from a CD or SAT radio, then you don't have that ability, where you need to turn down the bass control.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by homeguy
The best thing to do is replace your speakers and amps. Like said above if you over drive a speaker, the cone will do some funny movements and therefore your voice coil can't slide properly. The only thing you can do is don't turn the music up that loud.
Buzzzzzzzz!!!! Wrong answer.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
The popping noise is do to damaged voice coil , system was cranked to loud and the louder you crank it the more distortion you get this can cause damage to the voice coil, you can try the file method to fix the speaker for a short turn if it gets more poppy and scratchy , it,s best to replace , file method for speakers carefully push speaker in and out starting at 12 o'clock then 2 4 6 8 10, you are listening for scratching noise when the voice coil is damaged once the spot is located continue to push in and out on the spot (carefully) until the noise goes away
Buzzzzzzzz!!! Another wrong answer!!!

P.S. Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude or disresptful, because it's obvious you're trying to just be helpful. But what you're describing is not what is going on in this scenario and I rather not see others trying to diagnose their speakers when the speakers are not the source of the problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Infinity System Popping Noise - New Speaker Fix?