Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed ALPINE back up camera(HCE-TCAM) is something missing ?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installed ALPINE back up camera(HCE-TCAM) is something missing ?

So I attempted to complete the install on my 2018 JK today. (I have the factory 430N head unit.). This kit is supposed to be plug and play and designed specifically for the JK, but the directions leave a bit to be desired. I can’t figure out what the gray coonector behind the head unit is supposed to connect to
Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does the back of the head unit look like? And the gray connector is on the stock harness or came with the camera?
Old 04-14-2019, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jkwrangler89
What does the back of the head unit look like? And the gray connector is on the stock harness or came with the camera?
The cable provided that runs from the back of the Jeep to the front has two connectors on it ( a video type plug and a square, automotive style connector). The video style plug attaches to an adapter harness they provided that just snaps into the back of the head unit. It’s the automotive style plug that I have no idea where it goes
Old 04-14-2019, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
The cable provided that runs from the back of the Jeep to the front has two connectors on it ( a video type plug and a square, automotive style connector). The video style plug attaches to an adapter harness they provided that just snaps into the back of the head unit. It’s the automotive style plug that I have no idea where it goes
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That white connector is used if you have a compatible alpine head unit I believe. If you dont it needs to be cut and spliced. That connector is for the light, dont think its required for the camera to work
Old 04-18-2019, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Thank you for the responses. It does have to be cut and spliced. The splicing takes place behind the passenger side kick panel. The diagram is on page 14 of Alpine's instructions. I had a local car audio shop do the remainder of the install. Since I took it to them with the dash pulled apart, it only took them 30 minutes. I'm good now.

Quick Reply: Installed ALPINE back up camera(HCE-TCAM) is something missing ?