Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed my garage door opener mod!!!

Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996cc
I just tucked mine in the roll bar padding where there was already a void. Just reach up and touch it with my left hand. No one will ever know it's there...
That works great, until one decides to remove the padding. I pulled mine off recently.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
Digging up an old thread as I followed this lil DIY last week. The forum just keeps on giving . After pulling my rollbar padding I had no place to hide my garage door remote, and since I'm topless most the time that was one thing I was getting paranoid about letting sit out. Bought a couple $1 buttons on eBay and did this mod. Worked like a charm. I mounted mine in the a-pillar thinking that if I ever did want to pull the buttons out, that would be the cheapest/smallest piece of plastic to replace. The remote itself is tucked just inside the dashboard side cover for easy access.
looks great. Why if you're naked parked in front of your house? Gives access, no?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Fooddude
looks great. Why if you're naked parked in front of your house? Gives access, no?
In my configuration, parking outside would leave that security risk. I was mainly worried about someone taking my remote while out and about, figuring out where I live from my plate number, and helping themselves to my things when nobody was home. That said, if it was a concern, I think the real solution would be to tap the power to a key'd fuse so that it wouldn't work unless the key was turned to the accessory position. I just didn't care to get that in depth with the install given my particular living situation.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fair answer. Makes sense. While I have lots of stuff in my garage, and my garage is attached to the house, I have no access from garage to house. Connected but no door to inside house.

I might try this. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default On my to-do list.

Originally Posted by Canibeat
You could probably get away with just using a 7809 voltage regulator 12V goes in pin 1, pin 2 is common ground and 3 is your 9V output. Good luck!
Great job!
Old 03-30-2022, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

My buttons are still working great as installed.....

Quick Reply: Installed my garage door opener mod!!!