Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed RHR radio - need help with hands free

Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 PM
rah
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed RHR radio - need help with hands free

I found an RHR radio for a good price so I decided to replace my old stock radio with this one. I have a 2008 JK. Everything seems to work just fine except the hands-free function.I got the hands-free microphone that plugs into the back middle connector but the radio does not seem to hear me. I have tried a hands free call as well as the voice control. When I go into engineering mode the enable HFM is grayed out. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just went through the exact same issues on my wife's 07 JK. Picked up an RHR for a good deal, installed it and it worked perfect. Bought a mic from Ebay, installed it, but it would never hear commands, even though my phone was paired and everything. I could hear the caller through the speakers, but they couldn't hear me. Thought it might be because it was from ebay, so I end up ordering a second mic from infotainment. Same thing as before. I even tried both mics in my 13 JKUR that came stock with an RHR, still couldn't get the mic to hear me. Called infotainment about the issue, he said that sometimes those mics are bad from the get, so he sent me another. Guess third time was the charm, cause it worked and is still working months later.

If everything else is working properly, it's the mic
Old 09-14-2018, 12:26 PM
rah
JK Newbie

Wow that was a fast reply. New Mic on order... we will see how that works out
Old 09-21-2018, 01:29 PM
rah
JK Newbie

Just a followup.... It was the mic. new one did the trick
Old 06-01-2021, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by dodgeman70592
Just went through the exact same issues on my wife's 07 JK. Picked up an RHR for a good deal, installed it and it worked perfect. Bought a mic from Ebay, installed it, but it would never hear commands, even though my phone was paired and everything. I could hear the caller through the speakers, but they couldn't hear me. Thought it might be because it was from ebay, so I end up ordering a second mic from infotainment. Same thing as before. I even tried both mics in my 13 JKUR that came stock with an RHR, still couldn't get the mic to hear me. Called infotainment about the issue, he said that sometimes those mics are bad from the get, so he sent me another. Guess third time was the charm, cause it worked and is still working months later.

If everything else is working properly, it's the mic
I know I'm a few years late but recently ran into this issue. I had a 430N RHB(2014) and upgraded to the 730N RHR(2015). Mic was working just fine before the swap, but the 730N is not seeing it. 'Enable JK VR/HFM' is grayed as well. I'm reading so much about installing a harness in order for it to work to several different microphone models. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
  • Wondering what year RHR you installed?
  • Which model number microphone you used?
  • Did you connect the mic directly to the RHR or was there a harness used?
  • Is the 'Enable JK VR/HFM' is still grayed out in Engineering Mode (seek up+seek down+Menu)?

Quick Reply: Installed RHR radio - need help with hands free