Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing alarm, need wiring info (dome light, parking lights, etc)

Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing alarm, need wiring info (dome light, parking lights, etc)

Want to install a Clifford alarm this wekend on my Jeep. Have the alarm. For some reason, Chrysler (unlike GM, Ford, or Nissan), treat their wiring info like it's a recipe for making nuclear weapons. I tried the dealer and they were a bunch o' a$$-hats (Thanks Cutter Dodge/Jeep in Pearl City, Hawaii....for nothing).

Anyhow, I need the following wires (location and color) to make this install happen:

Dome light.
Parking lights.
A good constant 12v power. (cigarette lighter lead?)
Ignition power.
Starter wire (for starter kill)

That's really about all I need. I got the Clifford Matrix 12.5x w/ an optional proximity sensor so that it will sense people that stick their hands in the Jeep w/ the top off. Will also take pics and document this for a future write-up, as it doesn't seem there is any info on alarm installs.

Anyhow, appreciate anyoe who can help with this info. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The parking lights is a white w/ green tracer found under the hood under the main fuse box next to the battery. Its also positive trigger All the wiring inside the jeep is multiplexed. You can not use a starter kill either (no starter wire) Jeep starts when the accessory wire falls out.

I will see if i can print out the other wires at work and post it here for ya
Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James76
The parking lights is a white w/ green tracer found under the hood under the main fuse box next to the battery. Its also positive trigger All the wiring inside the jeep is multiplexed. You can not use a starter kill either (no starter wire) Jeep starts when the accessory wire falls out.

I will see if i can print out the other wires at work and post it here for ya
That would be great. Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Schantin
Want to install a Clifford alarm this wekend on my Jeep. Have the alarm. For some reason, Chrysler (unlike GM, Ford, or Nissan), treat their wiring info like it's a recipe for making nuclear weapons. I tried the dealer and they were a bunch o' a$$-hats (Thanks Cutter Dodge/Jeep in Pearl City, Hawaii....for nothing).

Anyhow, I need the following wires (location and color) to make this install happen:

Dome light.
Parking lights.
A good constant 12v power. (cigarette lighter lead?)
Ignition power.
Starter wire (for starter kill)

That's really about all I need. I got the Clifford Matrix 12.5x w/ an optional proximity sensor so that it will sense people that stick their hands in the Jeep w/ the top off. Will also take pics and document this for a future write-up, as it doesn't seem there is any info on alarm installs.

Anyhow, appreciate anyoe who can help with this info. Thanks.

Dome light. Info not available yet, tho i bet you can drop the cover on the light and figure out which one it is up there Most likely it can be traced down to the drivers kick area.

Parking lights.

A good constant 12v power. (cigarette lighter lead?) there are 12v red wires in the main ignition harness. that is located directly behind the knee kick panel. directly under the steering column

Ignition power. same as above and it is Pink with white tracer positive

Starter wire (for starter kill) no starter wire. This is a Multiplexed setup that uses a Violet w/Green wire that does several things including accessory, starter, and key sense. DO NOT tap into this wire without fully understanding how all of those things work in combination. For the purpose of starter kill it can not be currently done on our Jeeps
Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

oh if you are using the dome light to trigger the alarm, try using the door pin wire on the drivers side. it is violet (negative)....i think thats what we did on mine, and if the other doors are open it sets them all off.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you very much. That is what I needed.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

James76,

Thank you! I just installed an aftermarket security system in my JK. You saved me hours of diagnoses trying to find the parking light circuit. I recently had a kid steal the contents of my center console including the remote winch control cable. It was really my fault for leaving the doors unlocked.

I realize this wont stop a determined thief but it will deter the punk kid or at least allow me to react.

Originally Posted by James76
Dome light. Info not available yet, tho i bet you can drop the cover on the light and figure out which one it is up there Most likely it can be traced down to the drivers kick area.

Parking lights.

A good constant 12v power. (cigarette lighter lead?) there are 12v red wires in the main ignition harness. that is located directly behind the knee kick panel. directly under the steering column

Ignition power. same as above and it is Pink with white tracer positive

Starter wire (for starter kill) no starter wire. This is a Multiplexed setup that uses a Violet w/Green wire that does several things including accessory, starter, and key sense. DO NOT tap into this wire without fully understanding how all of those things work in combination. For the purpose of starter kill it can not be currently done on our Jeeps
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tied into the violet drive side door wire under the dash for my door trigger. During testing “like a dumby” I only checked the driver’s door. When a friend wanted to see a demo I discovered that none of the other doors trigger the alarm. I then signed up for a 24hr access to Tech Authority on-line. According to the service information:

The door ajar switches are actuated by the mechanisms internal to the door latch. When a door is closed and properly latched, its door ajar switch is an open circuit. When a door is open or only partially latched, the door ajar switch is a closed circuit. The door ajar switches are hard wired in series between a body ground and the Totally Integrated Power Module (11PM). The TIPM reads the hard wired door ajar switch inputs through internal pull-ups, then uses these inputs to control many electronic functions and features of the vehicle. The 11PM also sends electronic door ajar switch status messages over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.
Does this mean I need to tap each door wire? Or is there a single wire I can use?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found the answer. The door ajar (violet) wires on the base model are all independently run to the TIPM. This means I would have had to tape into each of the five door ajar wires and connected them to the negative trigger for my alarm. So I tracked down the yellow /white tracer for the dome light. On my base model it is located under the passenger side of the dash board. Since the dome light runs on +12v I taped into the yellow /white trace wire with the positive trigger from the alarm. Now when the five doors are opened the alarm triggers.

Only issue now is what do I do when the doors are off which by passes the dome light trigger. I guess I have to invest in a proximity sense ;-)
Old 12-10-2007, 02:55 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schantin

....Will also take pics and document this for a future write-up, as it doesn't seem there is any info on alarm installs.
yes .. please do! ... i have been trying to install an aftermarket 2-way alarm system ... it is troubling me .... a write-up would be great!

Quick Reply: Installing alarm, need wiring info (dome light, parking lights, etc)