Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

installing a pro start auto start/alarm on my 2011 JK U....can it be done?

Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default installing a pro start auto start/alarm on my 2011 JK U....can it be done?

I was wondering if I can install this unit on my jeep. My mechanic told me it cannot be done because of the can bus...
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Easy vehicle. In fact, the can bus makes it easier. Most functions can be controlled through it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

It can be done without issue, actually I do it for a living and have put in many alarm/start combo's in jeeps. It is one of the easiest vehicles to do!

This is what u need:

Ads-HRN CH5
(This is called a tip start harness and plugs directly into your factory ignition)

ADS ALCA bypass
(This tricks your vehicle into thinking that there is a key in the ignition, which is needed for remote start. Also this does all your features like lock/unlock, OEM security control and other important connections)

Obviously you will need the car starter brain and remote controls.

And a lot of patience if you have never done it before. I don't recommend ever attempting this if you are just a beginner or are just trying it for the first time. Take it to your local Best Buy and get them to install it.
You will have to work with your can bus wires and the data/mux, and ignition wires. These are very important wires as the canbus wires monitor everything that goes on in your vehicle. If you hook up wrong or even touch the wires together or short them you might as well empty your wallet for a new jeep.

But the main thing is it can be done.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

awesome....thanks for the part numbers to hook it all up...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Wondering what you do with keys? I.E. does the buttons on them still work? Basically like having 2 sets of remotes? I've been looking at the Viper smart start but would still like to be able to use the key fob buttons too.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine installed with the viper auto start and it had no problems. you can still use the functions on your oem key. i also installed the viper smart start on my android phone and it has some great program features, it shows the gps location of your jeep and can unlock the doors just in case you left your keys inside the jeep. go for it!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sometimes the vehicle will lock out the buttons on the factory key fob only when the vehicle is remote started, Sometimes it won't. But when doing a remote starter you never change any thing that has to do with the factory key fobs they remain the same. With Jeep the factory key fob (buttons on the key) will still perform wether the vehicle is remote started or not. The starter will work with it an the OEM alarm so u can use either.
SmartStart is a good feature but I would always get the package with the aftermarket remotes. Remember if you have no cell service then you have no car starter! And it's $50 a year? Not bad but you pay enough to get it installed!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 AM
JK Junkie

There is another new unit that does what both these parts to in one unit for 76 bucks. I will post the name when I get into the office.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

If u go with a compustar u can use a ch5 tipstart harness that plug and play, no splicing wires at all.

Quick Reply: installing a pro start auto start/alarm on my 2011 JK U....can it be done?