Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing stock Infinity subwoofer with non-Infinity stereo

Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing stock Infinity subwoofer with non-Infinity stereo

As you can probably see, this is my first post here, so please forgive a dumb newbie question. (Believe it or not, I did read the FAQ and ran a search, but saw nothing on-point)

I have an '09 Wrangler X (two-door soft top) with the non-upgraded base stereo system (AM/FM/single CD player/Aux) that has no sub.

I bought a used factory Infinity subwoofer from another JK owner that had upgraded his sub.

I'd like to use this sub with the existing stereo head unit. Where can I get the four-wire connector that connects to the sub, and where do I hook it in to the existing system? Can I just splice into the audio speaker outputs at the sound bar?

Do I need a separate amp and/or wiring harness?

Where can I get bolts to mount the sub in the rear compartment? The Jeep dealership?

Please be as specific as possible re suppliers and part names/numbers.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I read all through the thread on the 77KICK10's that "burnout88" started and plan on replacing the front and sound bar speakers with them already!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

The upgraded JK sound system differs from the base model in that it not only doesn't have the sub, it doesn't have an amp either. The HU provides all the power (and there's not much of it to go around).

To my knowledge, you'd have to add a small amp with speaker level inputs to your setup. Splice the soundbar speaker wires in the roll cage and run the signal to your amp, then the powered signal that comes out of the amp goes to your woofer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you just hook up the sub directly the head unit, it won't have the power to drive it. It may sound like garbage and/or damage your HU.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK
The upgraded JK sound system differs from the base model in that it not only doesn't have the sub, it doesn't have an amp either. The HU provides all the power (and there's not much of it to go around).

To my knowledge, you'd have to add a small amp with speaker level inputs to your setup. Splice the soundbar speaker wires in the roll cage and run the signal to your amp, then the powered signal that comes out of the amp goes to your woofer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you just hook up the sub directly the head unit, it won't have the power to drive it. It may sound like garbage and/or damage your HU.
Thanks, GreenTJ. That makes sense. I can probably hide the amp under the back seat.

Darrell

P.S. I miss my TJ, too ;-)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpittman
As you can probably see, this is my first post here, so please forgive a dumb newbie question. (Believe it or not, I did read the FAQ and ran a search, but saw nothing on-point)

I have an '09 Wrangler X (two-door soft top) with the non-upgraded base stereo system (AM/FM/single CD player/Aux) that has no sub.

I bought a used factory Infinity subwoofer from another JK owner that had upgraded his sub.

I'd like to use this sub with the existing stereo head unit. Where can I get the four-wire connector that connects to the sub, and where do I hook it in to the existing system? Can I just splice into the audio speaker outputs at the sound bar?

Do I need a separate amp and/or wiring harness?

Where can I get bolts to mount the sub in the rear compartment? The Jeep dealership?

Please be as specific as possible re suppliers and part names/numbers.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I read all through the thread on the 77KICK10's that "burnout88" started and plan on replacing the front and sound bar speakers with them already!
I did this same install within the last 2 weeks. I can't help you exactly with all the connection info. as I had my local stereo shop install it but I can share a few things I learned regarding your other questions.

1. In order to use the factory HU you will need a Line Out Convertor (LOC). My understanding is that it makes the audio signal usable to the sub. I believe it runs between the HU and amp (as far as it's order in the system as a whole).
2. The amp installed by the shop was a JBL 360 watt.
3. The shop also put some dynamat & polyfill in the stock plastic enclosure to make the sound better.
4. There most likely is the wiring harness to hook up to the sub underneath the carpet behind the passenger side roll bar/top of fender well area (at least it was located there in my '08 X). The shop spliced in the RCA cables from the amp into that to make the connection to the sub.
5. I checked with my local dealer as far as the factory mounting/fastening and they were of no help. There are some rubber plugs in the punchouts where the enclosure will mount up to (underneath the carpet again). They are hexagonl in shape. I bought 3 T-nuts, allen head bolts, and washers for a wopping $1.40 at the hardware store to secure it. Just drill out the 3 hexagonal-shaped locations to fit the diameter of the T-nut, prep around it a bit for a weld (grind off paint), and tack weld into place and finish off with a little rattle can paint to keep the rust away.

This worked out real well in my opinion. Hope it helps!

Last edited by scamp_71; 02-28-2011 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chizzam22 (03-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Installing stock Infinity subwoofer with non-Infinity stereo