Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Interior Light off / Opening Door

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Light off / Opening Door

Greetings: Well the title just about says it all. My interior [ dome light] won't come on when I open any door, didn't want to fool around with stuff now as it is cold and snowing here. It will turn on by rotating the dial though. Not a big deal but it is a pain at night . Gi
Old 12-05-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to sound stupid, but if you leave that knob on the turn signal some where in the middle your light will come on when you open the door. Depending on where you set it will determine how long the light stays on after you close the door and walk away. Otherwise, I'd go to the dealer.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the knob on the turning signal all the way to the ON position, then move it back one notch. That's where it should be so the lights come on when you open the door.

If that still doesn't work, make sure the cables coming from your doors are plugged in. Those are the cables you disconnect when you remove the doors and they tell the computer not to turn on the dome light automatically.

If that still doesn't work, time to take to dealer.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Probably not the door harness as all of them would have to be off or loose. do they come on with the gate opened? if not check the settings on the arm, if none of those, then I'd guess something came loose in the wiring and you'll want the dealer to check that out.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, it was not on the proper setting.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gi Joe
Thanks guys, it was not on the proper setting.
Awesome! Glad you got it figured out. Let me share a few tricks I learned about the interior light with you...

Say you open the door, get in the Jeep and the light turns on and will stay on for about a minute. If you want it to turn off sooner, turn knob to ON position then back to where it was and it will immediately turn off.

When the knob is on the ON position, the light will stay on for about 5 mins, then turn off. If you need it on longer, turn back one position and back to ON position to make it stay on longer.

Don't worry about having your interior light drain your battery. When it's one notch away from the ON position, it will stay on for about a minute and turn itself off. If you left it on the ON position and left your Jeep, it will stay on for about 5 mins and turn itself off. You can't drain the battery with the dome light, computer won't let ya!

Quick Reply: Interior Light off / Opening Door