Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

iPod 4th Gen & USB Port

Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod 4th Gen & USB Port

Hi!

I got the option of the Connectivity group on my Jeep. When I plug in my 4th gen iPod, nothing happens. It doesn't detect that there is something connected. I've read that maybe I need to update the firmware to the latest version?

What about plugging in a USB flash drive into that port in the center console? Will that work if I just have some mp3 files on the root directory of the drive?

Thanks for your time!

-SpiderDice
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't tried a USB stick with mp3s but it should work...

The USB might not support your iPod... it doesn't work at all with my iPod shuffle... and I know I get some weirdness with my old iPod video... but works great with my iPhone...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya, I definitely want to give the Flash Drive a shot. 32GB of mp3s sounds good to me!

Ya, my guess is that the iPod is too old. I'm thinking of getting an iPod Touch.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had an iPod touch for a little while, I really liked it, but just as a warning (and I don't know what your phone status is), but it's a gateway drug for an iPhone.

I don't know why more car radio manufacturers don't support the older devices. Leaving them in the car is a perfect use for them.

Also, I don't know how playlists and USB drives work. If you try it out, let me know.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ipod touch 5th generation & it wont recognize it either. I talked ti chrysler & they said there wasn't anything they could do. But at the dealership they said to call chrysler & get an update cd so i don't know
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm, I wonder when that update will come out.

I love to have the latest features!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Were you plugging your iPod into the front of the head unit? If you were, that usb port is only for loading mp3's and photos onto your my gig from a usb drive. The center console port is where you would plug the iPod. My iPhone 4s doesn't work with my jeep, but my iPod does.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slinky
Were you plugging your iPod into the front of the head unit? If you were, that usb port is only for loading mp3's and photos onto your my gig from a usb drive. The center console port is where you would plug the iPod. My iPhone 4s doesn't work with my jeep, but my iPod does.
I have to 130 sounds system so there isn't a USB port on the front of the head unit. I am plugging it into the USB in the center console.

Also, I tried my Samsung Galaxy SII into the USB port. The device recognized a USB connection, but the head unit didn't recognize the phone. But what's weird is that the phone went into MTP mode. This is what happens when I plug it into a computer to transfer files back and forth.

I guess for now, the AUX port for my iPod will work and I can also stream audio from my phone via Bluetooth. It's just not the audio quality I was hoping for.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpiderDice
I have to 130 sounds system so there isn't a USB port on the front of the head unit. I am plugging it into the USB in the center console.

Also, I tried my Samsung Galaxy SII into the USB port. The device recognized a USB connection, but the head unit didn't recognize the phone. But what's weird is that the phone went into MTP mode. This is what happens when I plug it into a computer to transfer files back and forth.

I guess for now, the AUX port for my iPod will work and I can also stream audio from my phone via Bluetooth. It's just not the audio quality I was hoping for.
Hm thats strange, I have the 130 also and everything works but my iPhone. They told you there was an update cd? I was under the impression that it had to be done from a usb drive. I know my radio should have an update, TSB for jeeps manufactured prior to april 2011, though I don't know what it does and I haven't had a chance to call the dealership about it.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

iPod 3rd generation works for me.

Why not get one off eBay?

Quick Reply: iPod 4th Gen & USB Port