Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JKU Rubicon Electrical Gremlin

Old 06-17-2019, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU Rubicon Electrical Gremlin

I am new to the group and my wife and I I have a 2011 JKU Rubicon with around 90k on it. We purchased new and have taken pretty good care of it. Electrical issues started about a month or so ago and I can't seem to track it down. Multiple problems have been happening and changing randomly.

I found 3 connectors located under the passenger seat. All three are mounted to the seat base or at least off of the floor. All three had water in them. No leaks found that should be able to get to this area? Has anyone seen water wick down a harness from a higher point? If so, where would I need to look. All of these connectors have been cleaned and greased and have had no positive affect on the issues.

1. "Gate" light will come on when driving with gate closed. Dome light turns on and you hear the "ding". Unhooked latch switch. Continued to do the same thing. Cleaned terminals and switch, continued to do the same thing. Randomly stopped...

2. Door ding sounds and dome light flashes with no warning or info displaying on dash. Unhooked all doors as if they were removed. Door ding still happens randomly. If jeep is sitting parked, dome light will randomly turn on, then dim off. Manually turned dome light off to keep battery from dying.

3. Alarm will sound when locked. If jeep is locked, the alarm will go off within 5 minutes.

4. Radio continues to make "buzzing" sound when jeep is off. Need to remove fuse when jeep is parked so it does not kill the battery.

5. Radio (u-connect with nav) acts as if someone is pushing the touch screen all the time. Different locations, jumps from station to station, enters its own nav destinations.

6. Air bag light will randomly come on and stay on. Then it will reset and not come back on for a while.

7. Sway bar light constantly flashing. No water in it, connectors are all clean. It doesn't make any noise when hitting the button. The actuator moves freely by hand and the unit is perfectly clean?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

How old is your battery? That's usually the first place to start with these things. Also check to ensure that your terminal ends are nice and tight. Outside of that, I'd be checking ground wires to make sure there's no corrosion between the ends and where it contacts bare metal.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding, battery is brand new. That was fix choice number one. As far as grounds, I have checked all of the ones I could find and they all look ok. Are there any hidden that may be known issues?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When in doubt, run a fresh ground maybe?

Quick Reply: JKU Rubicon Electrical Gremlin