Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 problem

Old 07-12-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was an issue with the high beams when the evolution 2's first came out. I think it was more to do with a slow response when turning them on/ off though. I know that issue has since been corrected not sure that could be the cause of your issue or not.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jsek29
I cleaned all the connections, with contact cleaner. The problem persists, no high beams on the passenger side. I tried moving both the lamps and the anti-flicker harnesses, with the same problem no matter which lamp or harness was on the passenger side.
With the issue persisting when lamps and anti-flicker harnesses swapped, the problem would seem to be the passenger side factory harness. Ensure you don't see any corrosion or perhaps an almost broken wire for the high beam pin. Bad connections can be a real pain to isolate. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texascodmw3
With the issue persisting when lamps and anti-flicker harnesses swapped, the problem would seem to be the passenger side factory harness. Ensure you don't see any corrosion or perhaps an almost broken wire for the high beam pin. Bad connections can be a real pain to isolate. Good luck.
I didn't see any corrosion or weak wires. Again, the stock incandesant lights worked, low and high beams, both sides. As I dig further into this, I wonder if the JW Speaker pins that plug into the factory harness are not just a little thinner than the pins on the bulbs, and that is causing greater resistance than can be overcome by the lower amp draw of the LEDs. I will try to tear into the factory plug to see if that is the problem.

Can someone tell me what each of the 3 wires going to the headlight plugs do? High beam = one color, low beam = different color, common = last color, I just need to know which colors do what.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If unsure about possible loose contacts, a little bit of conductive grease (NOT dielectric grease) on the exposed metal can solve it -- the contact will spread over an area, rather than a loose point.
Care should be taken to not allow this grease to bridge between different wires.

Quick Reply: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 problem