Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker 10" subwoofer mounting

Old 09-28-2017, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kicker 10" subwoofer mounting

I've been wanting to add a subwoofer to my '15 JKR ever since swapping in a Pioneer head unit. I REALLY wanted to add one of Matt's under-seat boxes, but as beautiful as they are, I just couldn't justify the cost. So some shopping...

I discovered that the 10" loaded Kicker Comp-C box would fit perfectly onto the tailgate. It will take 300w continuous and 600w peaks. And best of all, it's only $150.00! The part # is 44TCWC104.

So today mine arrived and I was able to mount it up keeping it slightly off of the floor so as not to start wearing the carpet every time I open and close the gate. And the height is perfect so as to allow it to clear the rear glass. The terminals are on the hinge side and it's ported to the right, so into the center of the Jeep. Almost like it was made for it. With it mounted to the gate, there should be no problem loading groceries into the back of the Jeep, as it moves with the gate. The only thing I'm considering is adding a grille to protect the driver.

I've already added a stronger tailgate/tire mount, so the extra weight on the gate should not be an issue. I did remove the plastic wiring cover from the inside of the gate so the box would mount flush.

Hopefully this helps someone else with their decision.

Name:  DM0ZsN7.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by any4xx; 09-28-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing the same thing. What’s the verdict on how it sounds back there and what, if anything, would you do differently the next time?
Thanks!!
Old 11-04-2017, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thorsome
I was thinking of doing the same thing. What’s the verdict on how it sounds back there and what, if anything, would you do differently the next time?
Thanks!!
I wouldn’t change a thing. I added the recommended Kicker amplifier under the passenger seat. I also swapped out all of my original speakers with Pioneer component speakers and added an Alpine amplifier under the drivers seat. I must say that I now love how the system sounds. Honestly though, my best sound improvement was adding Dynamat to the interior prior to the amps or speakers. Before that my normal morning drive-to-work volume on my stereo was 11. After the Dynamat my normal volume went to 8. It made a HUGE improvement in the interior noise level. Between that and ditching the M/T tires for A/T’s, my interior noise level is now very car-like.
The following users liked this post:
Strokelessone (10-02-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered enough Dynamat to do my entire Jeep (I hope), the stuff is expensive. Got the 72sq foot package for $300 shipped though, so will see what happens. I was toying with the idea of putting a couple shallow mount subs under the front seats, or building stealth boxes for over the wheel wells, but haven’t been able to find any that I can listen to. I am afraid that they won’t hit like a regular 10 or 12, so will probably end up building a box that attaches to the tailgate somewhat like yours. I want to keep it out of the way so I still have room in the back for stuff though. Your Jeep looks good though.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokelessone
or building stealth boxes for over the wheel wells, but haven’t been able to find any that I can listen to. I am afraid that they won’t hit like a regular 10 or 12, so will probably end up building a box that attaches to the tailgate somewhat like yours.
I have 1 stealth box over the DS wheel well. Its definitely not going to blow your socks off but it got bass out of my other speakers enough that they don't sound horrible now when at higher volume (doors off top down). I bought the amp that can handle 2 subs and never got around to adding the second as I don't really feel like I need it... Another thing to note, I moved my amp up to the roll bar because I tend to get the floor wet a-lot and didn't want to ruin my amp driving through water, Pic included.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Strokelessone (10-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Kicker 10" subwoofer mounting