Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Bulbs - Resistor Installation Write-Up

Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Bulbs - Resistor Installation Write-Up

So I bought some smoked taillights and wanted to put some LED's in the housing... The quick bulb flash with the turn signals drives me crazy... HEre is how to install the resistors to make that go away.

Bought bulbs from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

Ordered two (2) of the 3157-x45-T in Red. They are "Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower"

** Superbright makes a bulb witht he resistors built in, but the DO NOT fit the Jeep housing. **

I also ordered two (2) of the RL-650: Tail Light Load Resistor Kit

Bulbs: $24.95 Each
Resistors: $4.95 each

In the taillights, the main bulb has three wires coming out of the housing:

Black
White w/blue stripe
White w/yellow stripe

We want the black (ground) and the one with the yellow stripe - this is the brake wire.

Using the supplied connectors, clip one end of the resistor to the black wire, and the other end to the white/yellow wire.

I used a small wire tie to keep the resistor from flopping around inside the fender.

That is it!!! No more fast blinking.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up, I will be adding the resistors to front and back tomorrow.

Last edited by Mschneid; 03-02-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

The 50 watt worked fine for me.

I also have plans on changing the front turns to LED, so the 50 watt will help there.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VJR021
The 50 watt worked fine for me.

I also have plans on changing the front turns to LED, so the 50 watt will help there.
I did all 4.

Last edited by Mschneid; 03-02-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just tried to do the resistors on all 4 corners but for some reason I can't get the left front to work. It is some how feeding the parking lights so when that turn signal is on all the parking lights flash too.

Last edited by Mschneid; 03-02-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I just tried to do the resistors on all 4 corners but for some reason I can't get the left front to work. It is some how feeding the parking lights so when that turn signal is on all the parking lights flash too.
I had the same problem, the front corners don't work with the resistors. Only the tail lights work.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
JK Newbie

I wired up an HID kit to my headlights, and now they won't come on. Where. I unlock my jeep with the remote, they work. But as soon as I turn on the engine, they become intermittent. Either one will come on or none at all. I have a 2010 2dr,with a pioneer 6400bt radio. Idk if the radio install might have set it out of whack, but it didn't start doing this until 4 days after I installed the new radio.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VJR021
So I bought some smoked taillights and wanted to put some LED's in the housing... The quick bulb flash with the turn signals drives me crazy... HEre is how to install the resistors to make that go away.

Bought bulbs from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

Ordered two (2) of the 3157-x45-T in Red. They are "Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower"

** Superbright makes a bulb witht he resistors built in, but the DO NOT fit the Jeep housing. **

I also ordered two (2) of the RL-650: Tail Light Load Resistor Kit

Bulbs: $24.95 Each
Resistors: $4.95 each

In the taillights, the main bulb has three wires coming out of the housing:

Black
White w/blue stripe
White w/yellow stripe

We want the black (ground) and the one with the yellow stripe - this is the brake wire.

Using the supplied connectors, clip one end of the resistor to the black wire, and the other end to the white/yellow wire.

I used a small wire tie to keep the resistor from flopping around inside the fender.

That is it!!! No more fast blinking.

I bought those same bulbs from Superbrightleds and I'm good. They work wonderfully and I didn't put in the resistors.
The fast blinking don't bother me any more.
So if I cause a stroke or a seizure, meh....

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs - Resistor Installation Write-Up