Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Headlights on Low Power

Old 04-10-2019, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED Headlights on Low Power

Not sure how to describe this thread, but here's my issue.

I have a 2015 JKU that I purchased used two years ago. The previous owner had done several mods including the installation of LED headlights and fog lights. The best I can figure they are Razer Offroad "Extreme Skull" lights, but there are no markings that I can find. Those look closest to what I've got.

This morning I noticed that my driver's side low beam wasn't working. The DRL and high beam work fine. When I got home today I can see that the two LEDs for the low beam have some glow to them, but not very much.

I was offroad yesterday (mud and cow manure) and ran it through the car wash on the way home to get the big stuff off. Is it possible for water to get in the circuits and cause a loss in power that would still produce some glow, but not enough for the light to work properly? There are two black boxes in the wiring lines (anti-flicker?) and I'm wondering if water got in there.

I checked for loose wires and didn't find any, and wiggling/pulling/etc. on them never got the low beam to power up. I'm torn between ordering something new for a weekend install or waiting a few days to see if they dry out and start working again, then seal everything up.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally when LED lights start to fail they are irreparable and must be replaced. Its possible they are cheap Chinese lights that dont last very long. Your best bet is to just replace them to avoid further issues in the future.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the connections behind the headlights. Wiggle the connections with the lights on so you can see if they flicker between high and low. Add some zip ties around them to keep them tight. That should make them function properly.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
Check the connections behind the headlights. Wiggle the connections with the lights on so you can see if they flicker between high and low. Add some zip ties around them to keep them tight. That should make them function properly.
He said he checked the connections and all was good...
Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

This morning I noticed that the headlight is still out and also the turn signal indicator.

When I checked inside I was getting a message on the dash that said left turn signal indicator out. When I drove down the driveway and checked it again the turn signal is now working but the headlight still is not.

I'm thinking that it's got to be somewhere in the connections or one of those black boxes that's in line.

I guess it's more troubleshooting after work.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights on Low Power