Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lightforce 140s or 170s on windshield?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 170s on the hood and putting 140s on the front bumper.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BStelling
Yes I'm running the KC brackets. I think they work great. Currently I'm using the rain-x 16 inch wiper blades and they clear the backs of the lights. From inside, the lights don't take away much from my view at all. Here's a couple more pics from some different angles...

Attachment 127405Attachment 127406Attachment 127407
I was scanning thru various post tonight and found the thread... perfect... I cannot count how many times I have looked at various lights/ kits and have not be able to make a decision... I am installing on blk rubi.. The pics were great... Thanks for posting.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
is there clearance on the passenger side to lift the wiper arm out towards the hood?
To tell you the truth, I do have to somewhat bend the wiper but not much at all. I would say I have to lift about 2 inches at most in order to get the wiper blade to clear the light.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Currently the Jeep is at the dealership getting worked on so I'll get some more accurate photos when I can but I have these for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	127532Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	127533

@Heavy_D Traveling at 80 MPH with strong side winds I still don't have any trouble with the antenna touching the lights. The only time the antenna does make contact is when I'm making a turn going up a lip, the antenna likes to bounce around. To fix this, I placed a small 1 inch strip of black electric tape where the antenna would make contact and that took care of any rubbing.

@azrwilkinson With the lights on, I wouldn't call it glare on the windshield but more so just lighting up the hood. Yes it is noticeable but not enough to cause a distraction. I wouldn't say I really had to angle the lights much at all. I would say they are angled down about 1 centimeter at most but looking straight on they look as if they're pointing directly at you.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Are most of you using the LightForce wiring kit? The LF switch appears to be square, how hard is it to mount on the dash?

Last edited by mjm; 02-15-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mjm
Are most of you using the LightForce wiring kit? The LF switch appears to be square, how hard is it to mount on the dash?
I used the LF wiring kit and it worked great. They provide you with a good diagram of everything. The switch that came with mine was just a small rocker switch. Not the square on that is seen. It is not illuminated but I could care less really. Mounting was simple, just drill a small enough hole for the fitting to go into and then tighten from the rear. I forget the size but just gauge it by the back of the switch.

Exactly like this but without the LED Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	127622
Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Do you guys do the step listed below or do you bypass it somehow?

12. Using a multi-meter or test light fi nd the active high beam switching wire located on the back of the head light. Connect
“Ezy Tap” connector onto this wire.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mjm
I知 going to order some LF lights and mount them on windshield brackets. I知 leaning towards the LF 170s mounted on either Mopar or Smitty brackets. I知 having some trouble deciding between the 140s & 170s? Any reason to go with the 140s over the 170s? Are the 170s overkill for the windshield location?
170's on Smitty brackets. You'll be very happy. I debated on light choice and brackets for months and after MANY pm's to forum members here and gathering as much feedback as I could this was my combo and I couldn't be happier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep May 21 2010 016.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	127681
Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
My current lights are not hooked up to the highbeams. However I have a kill switch that controls all my lights so I can easily & quickly turn them on/off. However next time I do things (on new JK) will have a kill switch thats on/off/on, with one side tying in with the highbeams - as this is easier when on the highway.
So if I just want to use the on/off switch and not tie them into the Highbeams how would I do that? Where would I run the wire that would normally tie into highbeams?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
That wire needs to be hooked up to a power source. You can either hook it up directly to the battery (make sure it's fused), or hook it up to something that's only hot when the jeep is running (cig lighter, etc). This is more of a personal preference than anything.
What size should the fuse be? Thanks for all of the info.

Quick Reply: Lightforce 140s or 170s on windshield?