Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Map Light LED Replacement

Old 09-10-2015, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Map Light LED Replacement

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Jeep and this is my first post. I have done a lot of research but have not found anyone with an answer or who has successfully finished the project. I have replace all of my interior lights to LED's but the problem I am having is that the 2 map lights inside of the rear view mirror are an orange color. I am trying to replace the 2 tiny LED's with a bright white color. I will not take no for an answer, I have seen several people who say to just unplug them and leave them not working. I refuse to let that be my solution.

What I have done so far is purchased the Yorkim LED interior bulbs from Amazon and stripped the LED's off of a spare one.

Amazon.com: 194 LED Light bulb, Yorkim® 2015 Newest, 5th Generation, Interior Lights for W5W 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050, Replacement and Reverse T10 White Bulbs, Used For Signal Lights, Trunk Lights, Dashboard Lights, Parking Lights, With Grea

I un-soldered the 2 tiny LED's off of the circuit board to the rear view mirror.

After they were removed I re-soldered the LED's that were removed from the Yorkim bulbs. I have attached a video of what is happening after I attached the board and I attempt to use the lights or open the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brKiRX03mXI

I am pretty sure it is because the 2 LED's are being under powered, unless all of the power is going to just one of them and that is why one works perfect and the other does not. I would really appreciate any input or ideas of where I can track down the schematics of the board itself. I will be doing some searching and trying other things in the mean time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	9696
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	624242  
Old 09-10-2015, 10:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Northridge 4X4 sells replacement LED bulbs. I have had them in my last two JK's and I am getting ready to order them for my 2015.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Northridge 4X4 sells replacement LED bulbs. I have had them in my last two JK's and I am getting ready to order them for my 2015.
I don't know what year this started but I believe your previous Jeeps had bulbs that could easily be replaced. My problem, and I am sure you will notice this also with your 2015, is that when you replace the interior lights (2-Dome lights, 1-Cargo lights) you will notice that the map lights inside the rear view mirror cannot be replaced with a bulb. As I mentioned before they are 2 tiny LED’s already and this is what I am trying to change out.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

This weekend I received the LED bulbs that I ordered for this project. I was able to successfully replace the map lights with new 6000k LED bulbs by re-soldering them onto the board. If anyone would like to do this project I can walk them through how I did it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_075800.jpg
Views:	28516
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	625025  
The following 2 users liked this post by snowake36:
DV1 (01-24-2023), Montego (04-05-2022)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice work!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snowake36
This weekend I received the LED bulbs that I ordered for this project. I was able to successfully replace the map lights with new 6000k LED bulbs by re-soldering them onto the board. If anyone would like to do this project I can walk them through how I did it.
Great job. I am very interested. What was the solution to half power? What exact LEDs did you end up using? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by waynewerk
Great job. I am very interested. What was the solution to half power? What exact LEDs did you end up using? Thanks!
Hello,

I believe the reason they were only being half powered was because the bulbs that I was using required too much power than was being provided to them. I will add the link to the exact LED bulb that I used. These match the rest of the interior LEDs that I used, perfectly. If you have any other questions or need any help just let me know.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led/1383/3187/
The following users liked this post:
Gerry (03-01-2020)
Old 10-12-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work. Thank you for the follow up.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oznium sells single leds that all you have to do is solder them in. I did this on my map lights and the footwell lights. Just make sure the polarity is correct.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you so much, I am going to have to try this

Quick Reply: Map Light LED Replacement