Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Axle lock light on for no reason

Old 07-07-2018, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axle lock light on for no reason

I have a JK rubicon, and the rear axle lock light came on for no reason. Is there a way to fix it, short of taking it to a stealership?

Last edited by 16FW; 08-10-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Is it flashing or solid? Did you verify that it's actually locked? (put the jeep on jack stands and place in drive.. if both rear wheels turn, then it's locked... ) . If it's locked, try unplugging the locker at the axle and see if it disengages.

Otherwise take it to a DEALERship.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

16FW has been getting the runaround from the dealer for almost a year, just barely got the jeep back after a complete frame replacement. They left a lot of things wonky so I understand his skepticism.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't been offroad in months. It does flash. It sometimes goes out for a few seconds, then starts flashing again.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nobody has any ideas, suggestions?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Did you verify that the rear axle is unlocked? (see post #2) That's at least a starting point as then you'll know if it's a mechanical issue (axle is really locked and won't unlock) or an electrical issue (axle is unlocked but the monitoring system can't determine that it's unlocked).
Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Did you verify that the rear axle is unlocked? (see post #2) That's at least a starting point as then you'll know if it's a mechanical issue (axle is really locked and won't unlock) or an electrical issue (axle is unlocked but the monitoring system can't determine that it's unlocked).
I suspect if the axle were locked, I would know it. It would be hard to turn on dry pavement. Besides, I did go through the process of locking, then unlocking both axles. The fact that it flashes randomly tells me it is electrical, not mechanical.

I may try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reboot the system.

Last edited by 16FW; 07-10-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Is it flashing or solid? Did you verify that it's actually locked? (put the jeep on jack stands and place in drive.. if both rear wheels turn, then it's locked... ) . If it's locked, try unplugging the locker at the axle and see if it disengages....
I jacked it up, and is indeed unlocked.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

So that leaves these possibilities.

1. The plunger that is used for checking the status of the locker is out of position (this is the larger of the two plugs on the differential).. you could pull the diff cover and possibly see this, though it may be a bit difficult. May also inspect that plug and it's wiring for damage.

2. An issue with the circuit board behind the buttons on your dash. The entire module can be had for around $40 on ebay and such. It's just one plug on the back... the module has the buttons and circuit board. It can be pulled out by taking the side panel to your dash out and then compressing the clips that hold the module in place.

3. Could be an issue with the garbage TIPM stuff.... unhook the battery for 30 or so minutes and see if that clears it.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just tried disconnecting the battery for 45 minutes, but it is still flashing. I will try checking the wiring when I get off work.

Quick Reply: Axle lock light on for no reason