Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mixed lighting? Halogen,LED,HID

Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixed lighting? Halogen,LED,HID

Anybody here run a mixed lighting setup? Any combo of Fog, Driving, Headlights? I assume it would be painful on the eyes with widely varying colors/temperature. If you are how does it work for you?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alterna75
Anybody here run a mixed lighting setup? Any combo of Fog, Driving, Headlights? I assume it would be painful on the eyes with widely varying colors/temperature. If you are how does it work for you?
I work in and around lighting projects all the time. Generally speaking, it isn't aesthetically pleasing to mix lighting types. Unless you can do it in such a way that it works. IE: Different types not on at the same time.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 03-29-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by alterna75
I run the stock jeep housings with Phillips extra power bulbs, 55w 4300k hid in a hella 500 driving beam housing, stock fog lights and a set of hella 450 fog light with amber lenses.

My hid work great with my high beams, and my hella fogs work great with my low beam and stock fogs in snow. This coming from lots of night time driving experience.

Shot of hella 500s with 55w 4300k hid installed.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had silverstars for a few with my D's. The D2's made my silverstars look yellow by comparison so they dident stay on to long.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
i had silverstars for a few with my D's. The D2's made my silverstars look yellow by comparison so they dident stay on to long.
That's because the light from the d2s is blue.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

I run Halo Projectors for headlights. I have 6K bulbs in and it seems to match up pretty well with the Rigids that I use for fogs.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
...My hid work great with my high beams, and my hella fogs work great with my low beam and stock fogs in snow. This coming from lots of night time driving experience.

Shot of hella 500s with 55w 4300k hid installed.

Hi Jeepers, I just wanted to mention this picture isn't of converted Hella 500's on a Jeep, but in fact Hella 700FF's on a 4Runner. I know this, because it's my picture (and the beam pattern is obviously an FF light, not a standard 500). I've found this picture or the 3-shot Lo/Hi/HID shots cross-posted on several forums which is cool (Google search by image); still, I noticed Kojack here has been posting it as a set of 500's so I figured I'd set the record straight.

Anyone who's interested in reading a little more about the conversion can see it here: Converting Hella 700FF's to 55W HID. It's a set of Hella 700FF's and a 55W HID conversion kit from DDM Tuning. Good stuff!

Cheers.

EDIT- Also, they're actually 5000K bulbs in the picture, although knowing what I know now I would get 4500K's which DDM has available. People warned me at the time that HID's would burn out faster in an on/off application like high-beam linked; but here I am 4 years later and still running the original bulbs that came in the kit so I've not yet bothered to convert to 4500K.

Last edited by mastacox; 10-02-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup..... Definitely a yota hood there
Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mastacox

Hi Jeepers, I just wanted to mention this picture isn't of converted Hella 500's on a Jeep, but in fact Hella 700FF's on a 4Runner. I know this, because it's my picture (and the beam pattern is obviously an FF light, not a standard 500). I've found this picture or the 3-shot Lo/Hi/HID shots cross-posted on several forums which is cool (Google search by image); still, I noticed Kojack here has been posting it as a set of 500's so I figured I'd set the record straight.

Anyone who's interested in reading a little more about the conversion can see it here: Converting Hella 700FF's to 55W HID. It's a set of Hella 700FF's and a 55W HID conversion kit from DDM Tuning. Good stuff!

Cheers.

EDIT- Also, they're actually 5000K bulbs in the picture, although knowing what I know now I would get 4500K's which DDM has available. People warned me at the time that HID's would burn out faster in an on/off application like high-beam linked; but here I am 4 years later and still running the original bulbs that came in the kit so I've not yet bothered to convert to 4500K.
I never said it was MY photo, and when I did some googling to get some good shots of converted hella 500s this photo was listed as a 500. Mine are pretty well the same as those. It's obviously not a jeep hood.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

I've found these pics cross posted on something like 5 forums, in addition to a Portuguese website that sells Hella 700's?

It's the mod that transcends make/model boundaries!

Quick Reply: Mixed lighting? Halogen,LED,HID