Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My front passenger speaker & tweeter replacement (non-Infinity)

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My front passenger speaker & tweeter replacement (non-Infinity)

I thought I would post some photos of the install of my component speakers on the front passenger side (swapping out non-Infinity system speaker & tweeter for aftermarket Infinity component speakers.)

1. Popped off the side panel

2. Speaker box and wiring for tweeter are exposed

3. Glovebox removed and the bottom panel popped out

4. Removal of the Speaker box
(2 gold-colored bolts hold the speaker box on the right side (as you face the dash) and one bolt attachs from the bottom (access through the removed area of the bottom panel)

5. Speakerbox

6. Removed the speaker
(there are two (2) connectors - one leading into the speaker box; the other is inside the box, attached to the speaker itself. The internal connector is where the speaker connecters from Crutchfield, etc., is attached.)

7. Stock tweeter "popped" out
(you can carefully pry/pop the tweeter out of its housing)

8. Stock tweeter disassembled

9. Aftermarket tweeter fit perfect (Infinity Kappa series component speakers)

10. Installation of the Crossover
(used Velcro to attach crossover in this area -- however, the crossover was a bit bulkier than the space would allow. I had to remove the cover from the crossover (it just popped off), and then it fit just fine.)

I hope this is helpful for others. I have not installed the speaker on the driver side yet, as I think it will be a bit more time consuming (probably over this coming weekend.) This one speaker, along with the new aftermarket speakers in teh soundbar have already increased the quality of sound over the stock, non-Infinity system. Next project: Alpine IVA-W205 w/ Blackbird GPS head unit swap.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, thanks for all the pics! Looks good. -- what size speakers are you installing up front?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I was planning to do. Awesome pictures and detail.. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5. Speakerbox

6. Removed the speaker
(there are two (2) connectors - one leading into the speaker box; the other is inside the box, attached to the speaker itself. The internal connector is where the speaker connecters from Crutchfield, etc., is attached.)

What size are the speakers?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I swapped mine out (soundbar too) with Polks. They are 6 1/2". I also packed the boxes and soundbar with LOTS of polyfill, I think it made a BIG differance. A lot less vibration.

Last edited by freeswimmingfish; 01-04-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freeswimmingfish
I swapped mine out (soundbar too) with Polks. They are 6 1/2". I also packed the boxes and soundbar with LOTS of polyfill, I think it made a BIG differance. A lot less vibration.
Not planning on upgrading yet, but one day I will. These pics will help. Thanks.

I bet that Polk set up sounds nice. I'm a Polk fan myself.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both these posts should be stickied... or combined with the pictureless posts that are already in the sticky.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Default Splicing wires for front install (components)

I found that during my installation of the front speakers (components), I did have to splice wires because, yes, there are different leads (wires) going to the "woofer" and the tweeter.
I didn't include photos of the wire splicing on my front speaker install because there are numerous different ways of doing it; and, I didn't want to be held responsible. However, I can give a brief explanation of how I did it.

The wire adaptor was used inside the speaker box. I installed the new tweeter, using the new wiring that came with the tweeter, and connected it to the crossover. I cut the wire leading to the woofer part of the stock speaker, and spliced wires to it, and then re-used the connector to attach the lead FROM the crossover to the speaker box. The wires that originally went to the woofer, were spliced and directed to the "line in" on the crossover. My plan is, as soon as the new head unit arrives, is to re-wire the "line in" wire from the amp directly. However, now, it seems to work pretty good.

I wish I would have had the forethought to use some foam in the speaker boxes as well. Oh well, I can pull them apart with the vibrations are too bad.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

The stocker speakers are 6-3/4". I used 6-1/2" as replacements; they seem to fit fine (with a little custom adjustment.)

SoCal JK 2dr
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bolt size of "gold" side bolts?

Does anyone who has done this happen to know the size of the bolts on the sides (the gold ones that face the doors)? The one on the bottom, passenger side anyway, seems to be an 8mm, but none of my sockets fit the side bolts. I'm guessing it is 7mm or 9/32, buy figured that I'd see if anyone knew offhand before having to make multiple trips to the hardware store.

I got two sets of the polk db651s. I used the Polk grills in the soundbar, but assume those grills wont fit in the dash.

Thanks for this write-up. Seems like an easy install now that I know how to access the front dash speaker boxes.

Quick Reply: My front passenger speaker & tweeter replacement (non-Infinity)