Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR

Old 04-27-2016, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR

I wanted to do a write up on my install today to hopefully make someones life as easy as mine. In my 2014 JK Freedom edition, I had the stock RES130S, uConnect, and steering wheel controls. I wanted to replace the head unit with something that has Apple Carplay (and Android Auto) but wanted to make sure I was able to use my steering wheel controls. After some research, I decided to go with the new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX and use the iDatalink Maestro RR to integrate my steering wheel controls, console USB, and even gauges and vehicle info into the head unit.

Here is a shopping list if you are in the market for this build (all lowest prices I could find for everything you need):
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX - http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-42...ilpage_o01_s00
Maestro RR and CH1 Wiring Harness - Amazon.com: ADS Maestro iDatalink ADS-MRR Steering Wheel Control Interface w/ HRN-RR-CH1Chrysler Integration Harness and a FREE SOTS Air Freshener: Automotive
Metra Dash Adapter - http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-6511-...ilpage_o02_s00
Antenna Adapter - Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter Works with select 2000-up vehicles ? Motorola male to factory antenna female at Crutchfield.com
(Optional, I got it because I am a big Sirius fan) Sirius Tuner - http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV30...ilpage_o00_s00
(Optional, connects the factory Sirius antenna to the Sirius tuner, the tuner includes external antenna) SAT1 - iDatalink Maestro SAT1 Satellite radio antenna adapter ? use your vehicle's factory satellite radio antenna with the SiriusXM tuner at Crutchfield.com
Lightning Cable for Carplay
USB Cable for Android Auto

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Granted I have done this a few times before, but the Maestro RR made installing the head unit so easy. The wiring between the Pioneer harness and the CH1 harness is super simple, the colors are basically the same. From there it is just plug and go with the directions from Maestro.

When you flash the Maestro, you get to chose what features you want to retain - Steering Wheel, uConnect, EVIC, gauges, etc. I left all checked, including "Factory Amp" even though I do not have the alpine upgrade with Amp and Sub (the Maestro will auto detect anyways).

Some questions that I had before the install that might help you out:

Do you have to uncheck the "gauges" option when flashing the Maestro if you do not intend to wire it? No.
Will the stock microphone work for things like Siri / Apple Carplay calls? No, you have to use the Pioneer's mic.
Can you use the radio / sirius for audio while using Apple Maps for navigation? Yes (which is awesome, I assumed no)
Do you have to use uConnect for bluetooth if you leave it enabled when flashing the Maestro? No, you can use the Pioneer bluetooth built in.
Do you need the USB extension cable for the uConnect module for your glove box USB to work? No, the Maestro takes care of that (unless you want your glove box USB to use USB1 or USB2 in on the head unit).

When installing the head unit, I connected the USB extension cable to the back of USB1 - that way I can have my iPhone plugged in, but still update the software if I need to. Plugged a micro USB directly into USB2.

I am very OCD when it comes to wires showing. I wired the mic from the headunit, behind the dash and gauges, up the windshield pillar, and actually found the mic clips perfectly right where the stock uConnect mic is on the pillar (see pictures). The two USBs I wired down the dash and hang out the bottom into where the bungee pocket is by the shifter (see other pics).

So far, I love the 4200NEX, so easy to use and looks so nice in the dash. Makes the stock speakers sound better as well.

Long story short, hope this helps someone else out. Enjoy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.JPG
Views:	9491
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	645238

Name:	IMG_0380.JPG
Views:	5099
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	645239

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	5600
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	645240
Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, all of you steering wheel controls still function?
And did you drop any stock/built-in capability?
How does that mic work compared to the stock if the window is down, I know my wife hangs up on me if the top is back/off or the window is down because she says there is no way to hear me.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I kept all of the steering wheel controls. You can see for yourself what the Maestro can do at this site: iDatalink - Maestro - Demo RR - Main
You can configure the steering wheel controls to how you like.

All stock functionality remains (I turned off UConnect bluetooth and media because I hate using it compared to Pioneer)

The mic works great. I think it is better than the stock mic. I haven't tried with the top back, but I can later today.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Well with the top down the Mic still isnt that great. But that is expected. Just tell the wife it will have to wait
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

For those thinking about installing the Gino flush mount camera as well, installed that this weekend and also recommend it (especially for $8).

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Flush-Mou...ilpage_o01_s00

Install was actually super easy. I ran the power and ground from my 4200NEX along with the video-in cable supplied to the back. Ran the purple and white wire from the 4200NEX to the passanger footwell, and tapped into the reverse light (white with gray wire) to trigger the headunit to go into the camera mode when in reverse Drilled the hole with the bit provided on the front side of the bumper, and used a 1/2 inch drill bit for the rear side of the bumper. Dont push the camera all the way in yet - you want it hooked up so you can rotate it to the right angle before popping it in. Loosened up the back bumper with the 2 x 5/8's bolts next to the muffler so you can run the wires over the frame, then through the rubber drain plug where your car jack and wrench are. connect the power, ground and video to the camera, put your car in reverse, rotate the camera to the right position, and pop it into the bumper. Total time, 1 hour, cost, $8.

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	3554
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	645755

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	3754
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	645756
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

What made you decide on getting the 4200 NEX, and not say a New 2016 model kenwood ddx9903s?

How do the gauges work?

how is the unit overall working?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Geck0Jeep
What made you decide on getting the 4200 NEX, and not say a New 2016 model kenwood ddx9903s?

How do the gauges work?

how is the unit overall working?

I went with the Pioneer because it was considerably cheaper at the time (still is I think), has all the features I want, and I have had Pioneers in the past and have all worked great.

The Maestro has 2 wires that connect to 2 wires of the ODB2 to pull information into the head unit. Has everything from speed to RPM to oil temperature and beyond. Really cool feature.

2 Weeks in and I love the 4200. Works like a charm. Easy to use, packed full of features, and being able to keep steering wheel controls and uConnect should you want it is great.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
So, all of you steering wheel controls still function?
And did you drop any stock/built-in capability?
One question that I cannot seem to find the answer to regarding aftermarket HU's concerns the dash display. My 730N RHR displays turn-by-turn directions from the provided navigation system as well as an assortment of other information (hot oil, etc.). I'm glad that the steering wheel controls still function but does it also provide all information within the display, as well?

I am having a hard time justifying a sale of my factory HU given it's enormous factory price tag and lose full functionality in the process (of the display) if I were to get an aftermarket one.

Help me understand all of the benefits here. I'm on the ledge and looking to jump but without some insurance I'm going no where fast. Really just want to keep all of the factory controls in place without having to sacrifice anything.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by numbah1
One question that I cannot seem to find the answer to regarding aftermarket HU's concerns the dash display. My 730N RHR displays turn-by-turn directions from the provided navigation system as well as an assortment of other information (hot oil, etc.). I'm glad that the steering wheel controls still function but does it also provide all information within the display, as well?

I am having a hard time justifying a sale of my factory HU given it's enormous factory price tag and lose full functionality in the process (of the display) if I were to get an aftermarket one.

Help me understand all of the benefits here. I'm on the ledge and looking to jump but without some insurance I'm going no where fast. Really just want to keep all of the factory controls in place without having to sacrifice anything.

Since turn by turn directions are only done through Apple Maps (Carplay) or Google Maps (Android Auto) on this head unit, you will not have notifications on the navigation the like 730N does. But, you do have an option in the HU menu to show everything related to the car, like tire pressure, open doors, oil temp etc. So long story short, no, it will not display on the same screen but it is available on there. I came from a 130 so it was worth it for me.

If you are happy with the 730, you can pocket the $650+ and spend it on other upgrades - to me coming from a "dumb" radio without nav and spotty bluetooth, it was well worth the price tag.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cpellegren
Since turn by turn directions are only done through Apple Maps (Carplay) or Google Maps (Android Auto) on this head unit, you will not have notifications on the navigation the like 730N does. But, you do have an option in the HU menu to show everything related to the car, like tire pressure, open doors, oil temp etc. So long story short, no, it will not display on the same screen but it is available on there. I came from a 130 so it was worth it for me. If you are happy with the 730, you can pocket the $650+ and spend it on other upgrades - to me coming from a "dumb" radio without nav and spotty bluetooth, it was well worth the price tag.
So to be able to get navigation ones the HU need to be connected to the Internet?

Quick Reply: My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR