Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MYGIG - Gracenote DB Update

Old 01-05-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMEF_lifer
Can anyone that has gotten the update to work let me know what screen prompts you got? I have been trying to get the update to install for about 45 minutes now and all I get is a "reading .... " prompt. Nothing else, and the disc will not eject ... grrrr
OK ... Now that I pulled the IOD radio and the main radio fuse to reset the thing, I can get the disc to be recognized as a data disk, but nothing more.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default what's this update for?

I'm a bit confused (as usual). What is this update for exactly? Just so you can see the song artist's name or album name? That's it?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RMEF_lifer
OK ... Now that I pulled the IOD radio and the main radio fuse to reset the thing, I can get the disc to be recognized as a data disk, but nothing more.

Any suggestions?
It should say at the top "Software update for GRACENOTES"

Then it should say something about updating from your current version to US-8.81 and display a yes and no button.

Other than making sure you have a folder and a file in the root of the DVD, closing or finalizing the DVD, not sure. You might also try a different brand of blank DVD's.

It worked for me the first time.

Originally Posted by brattwurzt
I'm a bit confused (as usual). What is this update for exactly? Just so you can see the song artist's name or album name? That's it?
yup, that's pretty much it.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks racerx. Guess I'm just all thumbs on this update. Still cannot get it to work, even burning at 2.4x. Maybe its a Vista Ultimate thing ....
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpinningBull
I've heard of a couple of people having trouble getting this to work. A couple things to make sure of when you burn the dvd:

1. The txt (gnupdate) file and the directory (GNDB) should be in the root.
2. GNDB should contain 6 files (~1G worth)
3. Make sure you choose the "finalize" option when you burn the DVD. If you leave the DVD open to add more files, MyGig won't recognize the disk. If you are using windows Vista, you'll have to change the default options to get this.
4. Use a slow speed (~8x) to burn the DVD.
Excuse my ignorance, but I've been trying to get this to work and it isn't! I know this isn't a computer forum, but I would appreciate a brief tutorial in directories and roots! I burned the program to a good quality DVD, slow speed and I think it was finalized, however, I don't know how to check the directories and roots you are talking about. I'm using windows vista by the way, so how do you make sure it is finalized? When I put the DVD in it just sits there and says data. It doesn't boot or move forward in the process. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I am having issues with our Town and Country not recognizing track names. It only shows as an aac file. It is at the dealer now and they have no idea how to fix it. I asked the tech about gracenotes and he has no idea how to update them.

Can I uses this update on my T/C? I assume MyGig is MyGig.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I am trying to do the upgrade. I have the files downloaded (took 1.5 hours) and hae them unzipped. I am trying to burn to a disc, but no not know what to do. Do I want it to be a data file? If not, what type of file do I need?

I am having the same problem as DeputyJoel, just says data.

Last edited by 08UnlimitedSahara810; 01-07-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeputyJoel
I don't know how to check the directories and roots you are talking about.
When you click on the drive letter of your dvd drive to view the contents of the DVD you made, you should see a folder(directory) named "gndb" and a single file named "gnupate".
Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racerx
When you click on the drive letter of your dvd drive to view the contents of the DVD you made, you should see a folder(directory) named "gndb" and a single file named "gnupate".

That is there, but when I put it in the MyGig is just says data. What format should the disc be burned in? Audio?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810

That is there, but when I put it in the MyGig is just says data. What format should the disc be burned in? Audio?
Definitly not audio. You should be making a DATA disc.

Quick Reply: MYGIG - Gracenote DB Update