JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Mygig information needed (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/mygig-information-needed-139532/)

Smerny 08-08-2010 01:38 PM

Mygig information needed

im thinking about buying a mygig for many reasons.
1. fiddling with my garmin 200w is a pain in the butt so it would be easy to just have a screen.
2. My friend had the same crappy stock radio that i have and replaced it. he says that it boosted the performance of his stock speakers. this is a major selling point to me because i hate the sound of the stock jk speakers.
3. its also pretty cheap.

with all of this comes questions so i was wondering
1. if new head units actually do boost the sound of a stock system?
2. can i go on ebay and buy one of those used mygigs that say they are from chrysler/dodge for example cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-Dodge-MyGig-REN-DVD-CD-MP3-07-2010-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ110566666051QQptZCarQ5fAud ioQ5fVideo#ht_3778wt_1165
and will this fit?

Thanks,
Cody

Steve's 95YJ 08-08-2010 04:17 PM

Hi Cody, the MyGig in the eBay ad you posted is the REN version (no navigation).

If you're looking for in-dash navigation, you need to look for the RER version of the MyGig..........and make sure you get a High Speed version or it won't work in your Wrangler.

Smerny 08-08-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve's 95YJ (Post 1799184)
Hi Cody, the MyGig in the eBay ad you posted is the REN version (no navigation).

If you're looking for in-dash navigation, you need to look for the RER version of the MyGig..........and make sure you get a High Speed version or it won't work in your Wrangler.

thank you, so RER version (i need navigation) would be around $400 used?

greasyspider 08-08-2010 07:50 PM

selling mine, pm me.

Steve's 95YJ 08-09-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Smerny (Post 1799198)
thank you, so RER version (i need navigation) would be around $400 used?

From what I've seen on eBay, most of the High Speed RER MyGig units are closer to $500+ depending on condition/age.

Why not shoot greasyspider a PM, it looks like he's got one for sale.

Smerny 08-10-2010 08:00 PM

greasyspider

Originally Posted by greasyspider (Post 1799477)
selling mine, pm me.

i wish, i am broke after these tires i just bought but if its still available in october (hope for your sake it isnt) i will hit you up

TonyT 08-11-2010 01:25 AM

Don't forget to buy a lockpic and Ipod Harness. Huge benefits to having them.

If you want the Ipod controls to work on the touch screen through the harness the ideal radio is out of an 09 or newer vehicle. And be sure to get a high speed unit.

I'd be glad to answer any questions. I bought a RER Unit out of an '09 Ram of Ebay along with the Lockpic and rear view camera. I bought the Ipod harness from a forum member.

I got a 2010 microphone setup from the parts department at the local dealer. However, I'm going to have to extend the cord to reach the radio because the harness if different.

Love the MyGig.

lnchbx13 08-11-2010 07:56 AM

lockpick

Yea, the lockpick is a definite. That way if your passenger is typing in an address while the car is moving it will be allowed. Instead of having to pull over or use voice control (which doesn't work well when the kids also try to command it to do something different at the same time...haha). So definitely worth it. And get the tvandnav2go one. It is $179 shipped from the company in Brooklyn and has the 2 video inputs included. The other one is a lot more money and has more problems from what I have read.

MI MudBoss 08-23-2010 08:57 PM

dvd question...

does any one know if the MyGig is supposed to play burned dvd's??? i coulda sworn when i first got my '08 it played store bought & movies that i made. in 3 years i've gone through a new radio, new amp and several version updates. i burn movies onto dvd-r discs if that matters. thanx for any info :thumbsup:

Rednroll 08-23-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MI MudBoss (Post 1818378)
does any one know if the MyGig is supposed to play burned dvd's??? i coulda sworn when i first got my '08 it played store bought & movies that i made. in 3 years i've gone through a new radio, new amp and several version updates. i burn movies onto dvd-r discs if that matters. thanx for any info :thumbsup:

I play copied DVD's on mine all the time. I burn to DVD-RW....but I think I tried DVD+RW in the past and that worked also. Most anything will playback a DVD-R, since that's the closest DVD format to an original DVD.