Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Peeling Screen

Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peeling Screen

Guys, I'm freaking out over my screen peeling like its sun burnt! Has anyone else had this?? Never cleaned it with anything more than a damp rag and only a few times with that. Just noticed it this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-176142422.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	344315   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-616252146.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	344316  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I had that. My dealership told me it's from the oils on your skin and then sitting in the sun. They replaced my stereo but told me it's no problem, just an anti-glare coating that's on the screen. I told them it was annoying me with the top down and the glare in my eyes and they covered it under warranty.

You could probably scrape it off entirely and then just get one of those "Cut to fit" screen protectors for iPads and such and use that.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SCMatt
Yes I had that. My dealership told me it's from the oils on your skin and then sitting in the sun. They replaced my stereo but told me it's no problem, just an anti-glare coating that's on the screen. I told them it was annoying me with the top down and the glare in my eyes and they covered it under warranty.

You could probably scrape it off entirely and then just get one of those "Cut to fit" screen protectors for iPads and such and use that.
They replaced the whole radio?!?!?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rozzman10
They replaced the whole radio?!?!?
Yes. It's an RER with Nav and Sat. etc.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow I have never seen that happen before on any of our touch screen Nav vehicles, that sucks. I hope I can avoid this on the '12.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Ya I'm thinking my stealership is gonna say that I'm just SOL.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Looks like we found a new cheap fix... For those who have not had this issue yet go get an iPad screen protector and cut to fit.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put one on the new radio the dealership gave me, works great and i'm hoping will prevent it from happening again since I doubt I could talk the stealership into replacing it twice.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SCMatt
I put one on the new radio the dealership gave me, works great and i'm hoping will prevent it from happening again since I doubt I could talk the stealership into replacing it twice.
Mine is out of warranty, of course, soooo I guess I will peel it all off? Not sure if I wanna do that.. afraid it will scratch the shat out of my screen!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rozzman10
Mine is out of warranty, of course, soooo I guess I will peel it all off? Not sure if I wanna do that.. afraid it will scratch the shat out of my screen!!!!!
You only really notice it when there is glare.. I would clean it really good, then throw an iPad screen protector on it - I bet you don't even notice where it peeled after that. If it's driving you crazy from there you can try to CAREFULLY peel the rest off, but I doubt your will have to.

Quick Reply: Peeling Screen