Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mystery wire in dashboard

Old 09-04-2016, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery wire in dashboard

So I'm looking to find a good place to install a 4.2 Amp USB charger in the dash of my 2014 JKU for my GPS/Phones. I have a Daystar mount and I hate the charging cables hanging down the dashboard in front of the controls. I took the dash panels off to see if I could mount the charger in the flat blank square between the 2 defroster vents of the windshield. Plenty of space, but I notice there is a small wire leading to the same spot my guess was a spot for a headlight sensor, which my vehicle does not have. (The pictures below show the spot with and without the sensor.)

Does anyone have any idea how to remove that part of the dashboard?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8950.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	656080Click image for larger version

Name:	daystar_kj71047bk_dash_panel_mount_jeep_wrangler_jk_01.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	656081
Also, anyone connect a 4.2 Amp or higher accessory to the dashboard power outlet without setting their Jeep on fire? (It's this or run a new wire from the fuse box.)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to look at my wife's jeep on that sensor piece. I tied into my power outlet to run a second cigarette outlet below my glovebox and have not had any issues with it. Not sure how much voltage I was pulling, though... cb and flashlight charger.

Quick Reply: Mystery wire in dashboard