Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Navigation System

Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System

I had a Kenwood eXcelon DNN991HD installed on my new Jeep JK 2 door at a car stereo shop. It was too big that it created a pretty big gap between the dash and the panel, and the car stereo guy told me there was nothing he could do about it. So I returned it and got me the following items and installed it myself.

#1 Garmin nuvi 2689LMT ($269.99 at BestBuy)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod138361.html
#2 12 Volt Power Adapter-splitter ($39.99 at Quadratec)
Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-15 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
#3 12v Socket ($6.99 at Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#4 Daystar Dash Panel ($36.52 at Amazon - the link is Quadratec, but they didn't have it in stock)
Daystar KJ71047BK - Daystar Upper Dash Panel with Cell Phone / GPS Mount for 11-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Total $353.49 + tax

I chose this Garmin model because it has the traffic info unit integrated and not on the power cable (cable is thinner). I just didn't want to make a hole to run the cable. The dash mount panel fits perfectly, and it was so easy to install (less than 10 minutes if you know how to get the dash panel off).
Here are some pictures:

I really wanted an in-dash unit, but I decided to save some money this time. I think this one is 5 times faster than the Kenwood in-dash.

Which navigation system do you use?

Jiro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8210.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	602008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8212.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	602009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8213.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	602010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8216.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	602011  
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have OEM 430n on my 2012 JKU. Quick question could you have possibly have just drilled a hole to hide the cable in the back? The install looks pretty clean though . Do you put it away when you are away from your jeep?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_E60
I have OEM 430n on my 2012 JKU. Quick question could you have possibly have just drilled a hole to hide the cable in the back? The install looks pretty clean though . Do you put it away when you are away from your jeep?
I did not want to drill a hole, but I probably will eventually. If I want to run the cable through the dash tray (under the Garmin unit), I will have to drill a pretty big hole to have the USB connector to run through. I can probably just make a small opening where the cable is right now in the back of the dash.

I did think about getting an OEM 430N, but I just decided to save some money this time (it was about $1,300-used).

I live in a small town and usually just leave it on the dash all the time. I probably will put it in the glove box and lock it when I go to Big Bend National Park next week especially while I'm hiking.

Jiro

Quick Reply: Navigation System