Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need a hand with my headlights...

Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a hand with my headlights...

Hi guys,
I'm writing this up under a new post because I have been reading for hours and can't seem to find a specific thread or any new answers for this.
I installed the IPF plug and play headlight kit on my 2008 JK almost 3 years ago and they have given me grief almost the entire time. Following most of the same symptoms that others have experienced (headlights working intermittently; contacts corroded; etc.) I have taken apart and cleaned once and then ordered and replaced the faulty harnesses once and again they went out. So this time I decided to cut out the crappy harnesses and hard wire them, certain this would work. It did not. Just as before the headlights do not come on. But only the low beams. Daytime running lights, fogs and high beams work fine. So what else could it be? Then I realized that I my airbag light has been on for some time and and my horn hasn't been working for some time (but my cruise control has been fine). Thinking maybe my clock spring has something to do with it I ordered and replaced it. That didn't work. Little did I know until after I had taken everything apart, the electrical signals from the headlights don't pass through the clock spring- they're only attached to it. But now my airbag light has quit chiming at me so we'll call that a win.
So to recap:
IPF headlights low beams don't work - horn not working (works with door lock on key fob so it's not the horn itself) but cruise control fine - airbag light on - hardwired headlights with very good connections (solder/shrink tube) - replaced bulbs - replaced clock spring - looked at connections on clock spring which seemed fine (no corrosion) - airbag light now off - horn still not working - low beams still not working
I am not running any extra lighting/air compressor/any other major electrical loads other than my winch on the jeep. So this has to be either a break in the electrical signal somewhere in line or the computer malfunctioning, correct? Is there any specific notoriously bad connection in line for the headlights I should look? Is there a specific code the computer would spit out if it was shutting down headlights?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

go here and print out the list , CHECK ENGINE CODES : 2007-Up Jeep JK Wrangler
I did here of some the light switches going bad , ( your bulb wattage is 55/60 right? )
good luck

Last edited by tazzdogsocal; 01-15-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
go here and print out the list , CHECK ENGINE CODES : 2007-Up Jeep JK Wrangler
I did here of some the light switches going bad , ( your bulb wattage is 55/60 right? )
good luck
Hey thanks for the list!
So I don't have a code reader but I ran the code check via my dash shortcut and nothing came up. But I don't have a check engine light on...
My buddy is pretty sure it is still something to do with the computer. The only other option is a physical break in the electrical path, right??
Does anyone know of a specific place in the path that has been a common problem with corrosion, breakage, etc?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi gus , I've heard of the stock switch gone bad , But if you're getting steady voltage at the lights? I'd use relays

Ps I've run 80/100 watt for 4 years now.

Last edited by tazzdogsocal; 01-20-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Check all of your vehicle GROUNDS. Not just the one under your battery. A loose ground connection wreaks havoc all over. A service manual will help out here tons.

Quick Reply: Need a hand with my headlights...