Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help. Wiring LED Fog lights?

Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ginxer86
Pictures!
Yes, sorry about that. After I was done, took a shower and watched the Bengals take it on the chin.

You can see here that the bumper did not come with harnesses, just wire leads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7460.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	633050Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7461.JPG
Views:	862
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	633051

So instead of waiting on harnesses to plug and go, I came up with this (with several helping hands on the forum especially Rogue26 - can't thank you all enough). On the bumper side, wired the circle light and the middle oval light together then ran it direct to the stock fog plug (no cutting). What you do not see in the picture is the use of electrical tape and channel tubing (my fingers still hurt from stuffing wire). Used self crimping waterproof connectors, taped everything up and ran the channel tube over that. Then simply taped and zip tied. Still can order harnesses and re-hook if I wanted to.

Name:	IMG_7463.JPG
Views:	873
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	633052

After this, I wanted to test the setup to make sure I had the proper config.

Name:	IMG_7462.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	633057

Boom! There was light. Ran a stick to the power and these things are drawing almost no amperage. Unhooked the battery, did the other side the same way an bolted the bumper up.

Name:	IMG_7466.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	633058
Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxhammer
Yes, sorry about that. After I was done, took a shower and watched the Bengals take it on the chin.

You can see here that the bumper did not come with harnesses, just wire leads.

Attachment 633050Attachment 633051

So instead of waiting on harnesses to plug and go, I came up with this (with several helping hands on the forum especially Rogue26 - can't thank you all enough). On the bumper side, wired the circle light and the middle oval light together then ran it direct to the stock fog plug (no cutting). What you do not see in the picture is the use of electrical tape and channel tubing (my fingers still hurt from stuffing wire). Used self crimping waterproof connectors, taped everything up and ran the channel tube over that. Then simply taped and zip tied. Still can order harnesses and re-hook if I wanted to.

Attachment 633052

After this, I wanted to test the setup to make sure I had the proper config.

Attachment 633057

Boom! There was light. Ran a stick to the power and these things are drawing almost no amperage. Unhooked the battery, did the other side the same way an bolted the bumper up.

Attachment 633058

wow that looks F**king sick!! wish my bumper came with leds built in.

mines a smitty built XRC bumper, so I don't have much choice but too put offroad leds ontop as there's not a good spot to put fogs so they look factory like yours.

You should of wired some to the DRL. (fuse tap + wire harness) would look sick
Old 01-02-2016, 02:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
I went with the Vision X fog lights for mine. They are pricey, coming in at a little under $300...but they are direct plug and play, as well as a direct fit into any factory bumper. I installed them into my front AEV bumper over 2 years ago. They still work like a champ, and put out an amazing amount of light vs. the factory fog lights! Vision X
I have the Vision X too and I am very pleased with them.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fog lights not working at all after replacing them

Originally Posted by DKehler
I'd wire them straight to the existing factory wiring and call it done. I have my factory fog lights wired through a relay so I can use them with my high beams. When I turn on my relay ( with an external switch ) I disconnect the fogs from the factory circuit ( simulating 2 burnt out lights ) and I don't get any codes or messages, even when I'm using my relay with the low beams. The headlights used a pulsed signal which causes flickering on LED headlights but the fogs use a steady 12 volts so that will not be an issue. I drive a 2015.

Hi. I’m having issues with my fog lights and Halo LED lights. I tried to replace the LED lights existing on my Jeep with new ones but now that I have installed them, the head lights seems to be fine but my fog lights are not responding. I wonder if this is a fuse or a relay issue and if it is how can I fix it ? Does this mean I need to rewire the fog lights ? Also the hallos work for abut 3 seconds and then they turn off on their own. (I place the red wire in the ACC accessory fuse)

Don’t really know what to from now. Please help. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default LED fog lights worked great for 8 months, then quit working

Hey, guys. I'm putting this here, rather than start a new thread, because it pertains to aftermarket LED fog lights.

2007 JK with factory fog lights

Last fall (2017) I installed a new bumper and a pair of Quadratec LED fog lights. They plugged right in to the OEM harness and replaced the OEM incandescent fog lights. They worked just fine for many months.
Just recently, 8 months or so after installation, I noticed they're not working.

So, I:
Plugged the old OEM lights back in - no light
Checked the voltage at the connector with a multimeter - 12V on both connectors, stays there for a minute or so after the lights are turned off
Did the ignition on/off 3x thing and the odometer displays no codes
Used a code reader on the OBD2 connector - no codes
Disconnected the battery for around an hour to reset the computer, with the original incandescent lights connected - still no light.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
I'm seeing voltage on the connectors, but it's not enough to light the LED or the incandescent lights.

The only thing I can think of, is a high resistance connection somewhere in the harness...other ideas welcome!
(will post when I figure it out)

(fallback is to use the 12V on the connector to control a relay, but I'd really like to fix the problem...)

UPDATE: FIXED!!!

New left multifunction (headlight/turn signal) switch.
Only the fog light part had failed. Go figure.
I was all ready to go to the dealer and tear them a new one for disabling my fog lights, when (with age, comes wisdom...sometimes) I thought it might be worth $90 at AutoZone to make sure the switch wasn;t the problem...and it was. I had the switch replaced at 50k and it only lasted 49k miles...quality FIAT engineering, I guess.

Anyway, for anyone else with this weird problem...replace the switch and see if it helps.

Last edited by ka1axy; 10-01-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem -- bad switch

Quick Reply: Need help. Wiring LED Fog lights?