Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help wiring Lightforce 170's using Lightforce wiring harness

Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help wiring Lightforce 170's using Lightforce wiring harness

Let me start by saying I'm a wiring newbie. However, I was able to install a set of Hella 500FF's on my Titan without issue and that install was almost identical to this one. I am trying to install my Lightforce 170's using the Lightforce wiring harness. I laid everything out and I think I have everything figured out except for the switch. I'd like to use an LED rocker switch that I purchased separately instead of the non-lighted switch that came with the Lightforce wiring kit. I definately want to take my time and do this job right.

The Lightforce switch has 2 "legs", the new switch I bought has 3 "legs" (earth, load, and supply). These switches are identical excpect for the LED light and the extra leg on the LED version (I'd like to be able to easily see the switch at night).

As part of the LF wiring kit, a black/red wire and a brown wire go to the switch. Now I'm not sure which wire goes where on my new switch (again, the legs are labeled earth, load, and supply). If anyone could help me figure this out, I sure would appreciate it. I attached a link to the Lightforce wiring harness instructions below.

Also, I'm planning on installing these spliced into my high beams so that they will go on/off automatically when I activate my brights. The switch should allow me to disable this feature. As far as I can tell the pos high beam wire on the passenger side is white with a grey strip, correct? Thanks in advance for any help!
http://lightforce.com/files/pdfs/Wiring_Harness.pdf

Last edited by matt33; 12-29-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at your link it looks like the brown wire is your supply on switch.
The black/red is your load wire.
And of course the other one goes to a ground on the Jeep.
Hope that helps you out some. Don't have a manual so can't verify the high beam wire. Just use a meter to check for which one is hot when the high beams are on.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

I'm a wiring dumb ass, I have the LF wiring kit, I understand all of it except the brown going into the headlight wiring. I don't want my lights hooked into the headlights so what do I do with the brown wire.......?

Thanks all,
Mikey
Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtMikey
I'm a wiring dumb ass, I have the LF wiring kit, I understand all of it except the brown going into the headlight wiring. I don't want my lights hooked into the headlights so what do I do with the brown wire.......?

Thanks all,
Mikey
If you don't want it controlled by the headlights then just hook it up to a 12v source that will be hot with the key on or hot all the time depending on how you want to use the lights.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys!

Mikey
Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi

Ok, I'm about to do this. I'm using a lighted switch but I won't be tying in to the high beams. Looking at the OP's harness PDF from Lightforce, can I just take the brown wire which would otherwise go to high beams and run it from any hot power supply to the hot prong on the LED switch? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by genesbro

If you don't want it controlled by the headlights then just hook it up to a 12v source that will be hot with the key on or hot all the time depending on how you want to use the lights.
Looks like this answers my question...not sure how I missed it.

Quick Reply: Need help wiring Lightforce 170's using Lightforce wiring harness