Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Speakers v. Factory Speakers?!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Speakers v. Factory Speakers?!

I know this might sound like a dumb question but aren't new speakers supposed to sound better than the stock speakers??

I bought two pairs of 6.5 Kicker 07DS600's and installed one in the right rear roll bar yesterday. Using the head unit, I toggled the balance and fade and compared the newly installed rear speaker to the factory rear speaker (which is made of cheap paper-like material by the way) and found that the factory speaker sounded better

One thing I will say is that the new speaker has to be fitted to a bracket which then has to be fitted to the speaker space. I don't feel like the speaker fits flush on the bracket nor does the bracket fit flush in the space.

Did I do something wrong?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't speak specifically for those speakers, but why didn't you just go with the Mopar Kicker Speaker upgrade (77KICK10) that's a direct bolt on kit? Lots of good reviews on that from people that've upgraded to these. If you could still return the speakers you bought, you might try going with these. Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crutchfield had these on sale and they got good reviews so I went with them. I think I'm going to return them and go with the Mopars, Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orp967
Crutchfield had these on sale and they got good reviews so I went with them. I think I'm going to return them and go with the Mopars, Thanks
I just installed the Polk Audio DB6501 in front and the DB651 on the roll bar....whoa what a world of difference....try and check those out on crutchfields....
Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi

Especially considering that the Mopar Kicker upgrades are direct bolt on replacements and have had almost a 98% good reviews on here, I think these might work better for you. Let us know how things work out
Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hope you don't mind me jumping in but I was in the process of shopping new speakers, too. The mopar swap sounds like the way to go for me.

Do you have a part numbers for the speakers? I found a mopar web site but it only lists one speaker.

Also, if you do the mopar speakers, will we need to get an amp to drive them?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

One thing I will say is that the new speaker has to be fitted to a bracket which then has to be fitted to the speaker space. I don't feel like the speaker fits flush on the bracket nor does the bracket fit flush in the space.

That is definitely a problem. People don't tend to realize that the mounting of the speaker as well as the enclosure that each particular speaker goes in, plays a HUGE part of how a speaker will perform.

I just posted this link in another discussion, but read the section "Efficiency vs. sensitivity" and that kind of explains one of the problems as to why you're hearing what you are hearing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-05-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Try a new head unit

I JUST bought my first Jeep Wrangler (2011) Sport and the stock sound system is absolutely horrible. I didn't get the premium sound package with the Infinity speakers and sub-woofer on purpose because I just didn't think it sounded that much more impressive to be financing the speakers out over the life of my Jeep.

I've been scouring this forum for months prior to buying the Jeep as I knew I was going to get one. I can tell you that from what I've found here on this site, the head unit is the primary problem. I can't say from experience but can say from what I've read that even the stock speakers seem to sound better when you replace your head unit. I've also read that there is some built in supression from the stock head unit going to the sound bar speakers and that you'll never get the best sound out of them until you just buy a new stereo. This is my plan!

Do some searches on this site and you'll find more info on it. Best of luck to you and please be sure to post your results as you modify and upgrade! I'd love to hear your successes and hope you don't have any failures.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
...Do you have a part numbers for the speakers? I found a mopar web site but it only lists one speaker.

Also, if you do the mopar speakers, will we need to get an amp to drive them?
I believe the speaker is the same - 6.5" on both the front and the rear on the soundbar. It's listed as 77KICK10 - not sure if that's the Kicker Part Number or Model Number, but many vendors carry those. Here's a link to the part on Quadratec's website. And this is what they look like:

You do not need to have an amp to drive these; these are direct replacement speakers and can be used with or without the Infinity System.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've replaced mine with the Mopar/Kickers and the diff is night and day. That said, I went with the upgraded DS650s in the sound bar:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm

I put the 77KICK10s in the front BUT I also upgraded the tweeters to the Mopar Super Twitters:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_110.htm

I do think you need to go with the upgraded tweeters to get the most out of this setup.

Other than that, a combo amp/sub under the seat would really help this system to shine and I will fill one eventually. That said, once you've spent all that there may well be other complete systems (not including HU) that you could get a better bang for the buck but I wanted something I could quickly install myself so these fit the bill. Overall I'm pleased with the result but really look forward to the amp/sub.

FYI, if you order via Quadratec, ask for Randy in sales. He'll price match the 77KICK10s to $65 instead of $84 and he's a good guy to deal with.

Last edited by wrangler07; 12-05-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: New Speakers v. Factory Speakers?!