Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Speakers v. Factory Speakers?!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information guys. Thanks.

Originally Posted by wrangler07
I've replaced mine with the Mopar/Kickers and the diff is night and day. That said, I went with the upgraded DS650s in the sound bar:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm

I put the 77KICK10s in the front BUT I also upgraded the tweeters to the Mopar Super Twitters:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_110.htm

I do think you need to go with the upgraded tweeters to get the most out of this setup.

Other than that, a combo amp/sub under the seat would really help this system to shine and I will fill one eventually. That said, once you've spent all that there may well be other complete systems (not including HU) that you could get a better bang for the buck but I wanted something I could quickly install myself so these fit the bill. Overall I'm pleased with the result but really look forward to the amp/sub.

FYI, if you order via Quadratec, ask for Randy in sales. He'll price match the 77KICK10s to $65 instead of $84 and he's a good guy to deal with.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered them (Mopar Kickers) on ebay (priced better than that listed on quadratec).

Yes I do agree that the mounting brackets were probably the culprit, when I was attaching the speakers to the bracket it just got the feeling that something would go wrong.

I'll keep everyone updated on how the new kickers work out.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

One other thing to note. If you have the factory Infinity system, the stock speakers are 2 ohms each. Most after market speakers are 4 ohms. If you hook a 4 ohm speaker to a stereo that is designed to run a 2 ohm load then it will cut the power (sound) in half.

It used to be great when most factory speakers were 8 ohms because you could toss in some 4 ohm speakers and get twice the power (as long as you didn't burn out the head unit), but that isn't the case anymore. I have only seen 2-3 sets of aftermarket 6 1/2" speakers that are 2 ohms, but those would be your best bet.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finally got them installed yesterday, much improved sound! (Mopar Kicker Upgrades)

I have notoriously bad luck with do-it-yourself projects so I took it over to the installers at best buy for an estimate, they were trying to charge me $200 just to install the speakers and another $100 to install the subwoofer. Short on cash I decided to try it on my own, thank god I did, it was surprisingly easy with the step by step instructions provided by Crutchfield.

System sounds much improved for about $300 total, well worth the investment!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Also, remember that many aftermarket speakers require higher wattage requirements to run their best. When they don't get that extra wattage they often run more poorly then the stock speakers. Most stock decks can't give the required wattage. Aftermarket amps are then required.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good point clarky!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Before I order these 77KICK10's for the front and rollbar, are there any upgrades on the grill covers on the rollbar... the stock ones are butt-ugly...
Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alandchris
Before I order these 77KICK10's for the front and rollbar, are there any upgrades on the grill covers on the rollbar... the stock ones are butt-ugly...
You can just use the covers that come with them. They're not grill type, tho. They will end up looking like this:

These are the ones I got for the sound bar which are a bit better than the 77KICK10S but the kit is significantly more expensive and I'm not sure how much better they are.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm

With this kit you get DS650 speakers instead of the DS600s. I used the cheaper 77KICK10s in the front.

TBH, if I was doing it over I might have just replaced the front speakers and the tweeters. I think the tweeters are a better investment than the sound bar speakers, at least for the two people sitting in the front.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
One other thing to note. If you have the factory Infinity system, the stock speakers are 2 ohms each. Most after market speakers are 4 ohms. If you hook a 4 ohm speaker to a stereo that is designed to run a 2 ohm load then it will cut the power (sound) in half.

It used to be great when most factory speakers were 8 ohms because you could toss in some 4 ohm speakers and get twice the power (as long as you didn't burn out the head unit), but that isn't the case anymore. I have only seen 2-3 sets of aftermarket 6 1/2" speakers that are 2 ohms, but those would be your best bet.
How come according to crutchfield it states the factory infinity system is 4 ohm
Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Cause Crutchfield is fukin dumb

Not entirely true......they are a great source of general info, but nobody is perfect. I think the big thing is that not many companies even offer standard speakers in 2-ohms. Hell, Infinity might be the only one for all I know. I've never honestly researched it.

It used to be.....back in the day. A lot of factory stereo's used to use 8-ohm speakers. The majority of the aftermarket stuff available was and still is 4-ohms. So when you replaced the factory junk, you not only got a better quality speaker, you also got a bump in performance by lowering the speaker impedance.

Quick Reply: New Speakers v. Factory Speakers?!