Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

No power to Starter Solenoid, Help needed! 2008 Wrangler JK 3.8 manual transmission

Old 03-18-2016, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to Starter Solenoid, Help needed! 2008 Wrangler JK 3.8 manual transmission

Hello, I have seen lot's of great posts on this forum and you guys have saved me many dollars with awesome write-ups!
Here is my problem and I will try to be as specific as possible:
There is no power to the starter solenoid. When turning the key in ignition, I can get the starter to turn over by connecting the the starter positive with a screw driver to the solenoid plug.
BUT: Even then, the engine won't start. I traced back the black/yellow solenoid wire to the fuse box and no power (obviously while turning the key in the ignition)
I checked all the relays and they seem to work, I tried to start it in 4Low to rule out the Clutch safety and I am at a point of head scratching and in need of help.
Is there any other safety measure that prevents the power to the starter solenoid?
Is there an ignition Switch Actuator Pin that I should check? (I haven't found any write ups on the JK, so I figured it may not be a problem/fixed after the TJ)
Furthermore, when connecting a scanning tool, it says that there is no connection to the car.
I am still hoping for a simple fix before taking (stupid) measures such as trying to replace the ECM Unit.
I am happy for any suggestions or help with my issues.

Thank you guys!!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You said you can get the starter to turn over by jumping power to the solenoid with a screw driver. It turns over the engine, but it won't start. Is that correct?

If that is correct, did you have someone hold the key in the START position while you jumped it?
Having it in the RUN position will not allow it to fire and start.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-18-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You said you can get the starter to turn over by jumping power to the solenoid with a screw driver. It turns over the engine, but it won't start. Is that correct?

If that is correct, did you have someone hold the key in the START position while you jumped it?
Having it in the RUN position will not allow it to fire and start.
Yes, the key was in START position.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

I’m having the same issue. What ended up being the resolution?
Old 03-27-2022, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

See attached wiring. There are a lot of software conditions which also must be met to start the Jeep so the wiring is not the only answer. But at least the basic hardwiring os depicted here. This is for a 2008.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WIRING DIAGRAM starter.pdf (52.9 KB, 317 views)

Quick Reply: No power to Starter Solenoid, Help needed! 2008 Wrangler JK 3.8 manual transmission