Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Odyssey AGM PS1200 MJT Dual battery

Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey AGM PS1200 MJT Dual battery

I read a write up in one of the jeep mags about a dual battery set up using Odyssey batteries. I looked into it some & they do cost a little more than an optima. The PS 1200 has a smaller footprint & a metal jacket. They have a 3-4 year replacement warranty. It has a 550 CCA rating. I plan on using one battery for start up & the second for accessories. Mainly a winch, lights & air compressor. Will 550 CCA / battery be enough for the start up & running the accessories? I am going to use a Bench mark charging module. With a flip of a switch I can have 1100 CCA available for the winch. I like the idea of the small footprint & rough duty desigh. Is it worth the extra $$$ & will the lower CCA rating be an issue? Also what is the altenator AMP rating on a stock Wrangler X. Should I consider upgading the altenator?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Odyssey PC 1500's

i went with dual PC 1500's, and the benchmark dual tray setup. i also used the Cole Hershy "smart isolator". This keeps the batteries isolated so that only one is ever charging at a time, so your alternator isn't over worked. It recognizes when your main battery is charged to capacity, then switches to allow the aux battery to charge. (at least that is my understanding of how it works).
A really nice setup.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you like the Oddeseys then check out the Sears Platinum. They are rebadged Odesseys and are a lot cheaper and they carry the same replacement warranty....Just a thought....

Quick Reply: Odyssey AGM PS1200 MJT Dual battery